For students only!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A pat on the back for the first correct answer!

Senario:-

A church with a 200 kw boiler.

Heating is turned on at 5 pm for the evening service.

When heating is switched on the temperature in the church is 10*C.

After the heating has been on for one hour the temperature has FALLEN to 8*C.

Why ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
because the parishoners have to open the door to get in, so the hot air gets out?

The radiators(?) introduce convection which increases the temperature stratification in the church. The upper parts warm up, but cooler air lurks at floor level.
With the air moving, there would be a small wind-chill effect.
So it depends where you put your thermometer.

ChrisR said:
With the air moving, there would be a small wind-chill effect.

Wind chill only applies to self heating objects that have to maintain a set temperature, it does not apply to inanimate objects like thermometers. It does not change the temperature, it just feels colder if you put your head out of a train window.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
A pat on the back for the first correct answer!

Senario:-

A church with a 200 kw boiler.

Heating is turned on at 5 pm for the evening service.

When heating is switched on the temperature in the church is 10*C.

After the heating has been on for one hour the temperature has FALLEN to 8*C.

Why ?

Tony

I would have thought infra-red heaters would be more suited to heating a church. They would be cheaper to run than a 200kw boiler too.

Wind chill only applies to self heating objects that have to maintain a set temperature, it does not apply to inanimate objects like thermometers. It does not change the temperature, it just feels colder if you put your head out of a train window.
That's what I thought, but no it doesn't! Will find you a quote later. Dampness in the air is important. Wrap your thermometer in a damp rag and stick it out of the train window, sort of thing.
IOW wind chill is a combination effect depending on..... .. .. .

ChrisR said:
That's what I thought, but no it doesn't! Will find you a quote later. Dampness in the air is important. Wrap your thermometer in a damp rag and stick it out of the train window, sort of thing.
IOW wind chill is a combination effect depending on..... .. .. .

Fair enough, but in the case of normal temperature measurements the thermometer would be dry, so nothing to evaporate.

How about it's a warm air unit and the fan has gone U/S, the boiler's hot but the heat's going nowhere?

My next guess is it's a Saunier Duval.

Any clues Tony, like "nothing's broken" or "all major components are OK and the pilot's lit!"

I love a whodunnit

Probably wide of the mark but if the heat can escape anywhere from the roof space, cold air may be drawn in through floor vents or somewhere at floor level.

200kw natural draught using so much air that its pulling the cold in through the ventilation?

I did not realise that so many of the people posting here classed themselves as students. theres not one I would have thought of as a student.

I am amused by the thought of a Sonya Duval 200 kW boiler!!! Would sure cause a big floood when it leaks.

Its a warm air unit. Built in 1905 for coke! Now fired by an electro oil gas burner.

The answer is quite simple and was guessed by the volunteer admin lady at the church! I thought a student would have guessed it!

Tony

Oilski said:
Fair enough, but in the case of normal temperature measurements the thermometer would be dry, so nothing to evaporate.
It's the AIR that provdes the water, that's just the point.

Agile said:
I did not realise that so many of the people posting here classed themselves as students.
that's because we're all still learning ;)

Agile said:
The answer is quite simple and was guessed by the volunteer admin lady at the church! I thought a student would have guessed it!
Who says she's right? All the answers above say much the same thing - so if she or you think differently then you never know, you both might be wrong!

In that case, it's likely that the fans had started but the burner did not ignite. Try putting some money in the gas meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back