For Windows XP users only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the revelations about Windows XP Help & Support system having a problem that leaves it vulnerable to attacks, until Microsoft can come up with a fix, it is advisable to turn off the Help & Support part of Windows XP.
Most users have hardly ever used it so it will not be missed until a fix is available.

To turn off (disable) Help & Support and stop it from starting at boot up:

Click Start -> Run -> in the box type services.msc -> OK

The Services window will open, click to maximize it if you want to see it all.

Scroll down to Help and Support.

Double click Help and Support.

In the window, click STOP. Then click the Start up Type -> select Disable

Then click Apply or OK and close the windows.

Reboot. You may get an error message after bootup:

“Windows cannot open the Help & Support . . . etc.” If so just click OK or close it.

As the title says this is for Windows XP ONLY

I posted this here instead of the Software Section because not everyone looks in there, so, Mods, please leave it here.

dave

Sponsored Links
Very considerate of you Dave. I'm a dreaded Vista boy but thank you all the same.

Thanks Blas,
This is what Microsoft are saying about the attacks:

"The attacks, which are being launched from malicious Web pages, are concentrated in the U.S., Russia, Portugal, Germany and Brazil, Microsoft said."

Not much in the UK at the moment but best to be safe, especially as the H&S is hardly ever used.

should this not be in the geeks forum...... ;) then you might get an answer.....

Sponsored Links
didn't they identify and fix this long before Vista came out?
or is this another flaw that they missed?

should this not be in the geeks forum...... ;) then you might get an answer.....
He's not looking for an answer geraint.

Stupid Boy!

DA-AL172348.jpg

I posted this here instead of the Software Section because not everyone looks in there, so, Mods, please leave it here.

Cheers Dave, I'm running XP, although thanks to you kind sir, Comodo Internet Security may well have protected me anyhows. :D

Sponsored Links
Back