Windows "users" at turn on

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a Windows XP machine. I recently changed the hard drive, reinstalled XP SP3, activated it, ran all the updates. At some time during the updates, it has started putting a select user screen up. I only have one user, which it has called "owner".

I don't want this step. i have set the bios to start on alarm clock at 7am, and i have set Security Essentials and Microsoft Update to start and run every day.

Until now, the machine has turned itself on and run these tasks unattended. How can I stop it requiring the manual intervention of clicking on the User?

(I have a similar problem on a Win7 machine, which has some apps in the Start folder that I want to automatically start every day, this has also recently started putting in the user screen. A mender put in a user "IT Admin" when he was lookingh at a problem I had. I don't want it. I only want one user, who has admin rights. My PC is not used by anyone else.

Sponsored Links
thanks

have downloaded in XP and had a look
in tweakui there is an option
logon
autologon
logon automatically at syste, startup
(looks like optionally choose user and set password)

I will try that later

Will it work in Win7 as well?

Doubt it, though there may be a similar tool for 7. they really only modify existing registry entries so it may be easier to find out which ones need adjusting and doing it manually

Sponsored Links
I have a Windows XP machine. I recently changed the hard drive, reinstalled XP SP3, activated it, ran all the updates. At some time during the updates, it has started putting a select user screen up. I only have one user, which it has called "owner".

I don't want this step. i have set the bios to start on alarm clock at 7am, and i have set Security Essentials and Microsoft Update to start and run every day.

Until now, the machine has turned itself on and run these tasks unattended. How can I stop it requiring the manual intervention of clicking on the User?

(I have a similar problem on a Win7 machine, which has some apps in the Start folder that I want to automatically start every day, this has also recently started putting in the user screen. A mender put in a user "IT Admin" when he was lookingh at a problem I had. I don't want it. I only want one user, who has admin rights. My PC is not used by anyone else.

Have your seen this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

For XP only/

that's very useful, thanks.

Any sign of a W7 solution?

...Have I missed something?

It would appear so.

In the first KB article I linked to:

Applies to
•Windows Embedded Standard 7
•Windows 8
•Windows 8 Pro
•Windows 8 Enterprise

Note: To enable automatic logon, set the AutoAdminLogon registry value to 1 by using Registry Editor. For additional information, see the More Information section at the end of this KB article.

The More Information section links to the 2nd KB article in my earlier reply. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back