Ford Fiesta mk 4 idling problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ford Fiesta R reg 1242cc which has done 60,000 miles.

When the engine is idling it has recently started to surge a bit and then drop off as though it could be going to stall and keeps repeating this every few seconds. It drives fine when I accelerate.

Have checked plugs, done oil change and renewed oil and air filters. Does anyone have any ideas please.

Orchid

Sponsored Links
try covering the air intake while you pull on the throtle linkige. as it starts to stall uncover the intake and repeat. this should flood the intake and if there is rubbish in there it should flush it. also try wd40 during the same procedure.

try covering the air intake while you pull on the throtle linkige. as it starts to stall uncover the intake and repeat. this should flood the intake and if there is rubbish in there it should flush it. also try wd40 during the same procedure.

flood the intake with what?

Precisely, but in the interim I'd be looking for the usual vacuum leaks followed by a good clean of the idle control valve.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your posts.

My OH has taken off the Idle Speed Control Value and cleaned it out, it still does the funny idle. Checked as far as we can for vacuum leaks and not found any.

So we are still stumped as what to do next.

Orchid

Just wondering what happens if you electrically disconnect the ICV......there is a chance that its not working at all. Its a small stepper motor that turns the ICV a tiny amount.

Just wondering what happens if you electrically disconnect the ICV......there is a chance that its not working at all. Its a small stepper motor that turns the ICV a tiny amount.

Could be onto something there John, we've just sold a Micra with the same symptoms as the OP states, we replaced the IAC with a new one and all is well.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back