Ford Focus 2001 estate 1.6 stuttering starts...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had a new ignition switch and starter motor fitted( may ) and new battery changed (september) the car still starts slowly.RAC guy said the lead from the battery to the starter motor was losing .8 volts and the lead could be the problem. The garage said that it was the battery and they've never changed the lead. Any ideas,the car starts but it still stutters on occasions.

Sponsored Links
A broken engine earth strap or corrosion around it's fixings, or around the battery earth strap can cause all sorts of odd malfunctions, especially when the electrics are heavily loaded by the starter motor.

I have heard of a throttle jamming (at full throttle :eek: ) when the earth strap failed, so the engine was only earthed through the accelerator cable.

When i was young and bought scrappers vauxhall viva was the car, as, if you go to the breakers buy the non runner, put a new earth strap on, plus new clutch cable, cos when the earth strapped failed, it used the clutch cable, then burned out in ten secs,i saw this happen.

A bad earth causes loads.

Astra had a similar problem

Sponsored Links
Back