ford KA rear bumper shunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning I shunted a Ford KA at some traffic lights. No damage to my car as I could only have been doing 2mph. He did have some damage though. I was wondering if anybody would have an idea of cost of repairs.
The damage was - broken number plate light. That cirle thing that gives access had popped out. and the left portion of the bumper looked like it had popped out of it mountings.
Thanks
Andrew299

Sponsored Links
andrew299 said:
This morning I shunted a Ford KA at some traffic lights. No damage to my car as I could only have been doing 2mph. He did have some damage though. I was wondering if anybody would have an idea of cost of repairs.
The damage was - broken number plate light. That cirle thing that gives access had popped out. and the left portion of the bumper looked like it had popped out of it mountings.
Thanks
Andrew299

dont expect change from £1000 from ford bodyshop

behind number plate is a weak spot

ask an independent

edit

worst case = £1000 sorry

new bumper is cheap enough to put right, depends if you go through main dealer or backstreet garage. can you not do it yourself?

Sponsored Links
The quote came back today - £750 :eek: For a 2mph shunt!!!
Apparently something called the rear plate (what the bumper is mounted on) needs to be replaced which takes time and therefore huge labour costs. My trusted garage said they were suprised that this would need to be replaced and it may be possible that it could be repaired instead. The actual cost of the bumper is minimal in comparison. I can't do it myself as it was the other persons car. It may be that the other garage expects me to go through my insurance and therefore they can bump the price up a bit. I will ask the bloke to get a second quote from my garage.
Andrew299

andrew299 said:
I will ask the bloke to get a second quote from my garage.
Andrew299

You can ask but you can't make him get a quote from your garage he can get a quote from whom ever he likes, and have it repaired by whom ever he likes. It's his car not yours you are not able to dictate to him. Sorry.

What difference does it make? It's your insurance companies problem surely? (Unless you have a massive excess...)

I wanted to avoid insurance and keep my no claims bonus. It only seemed like a small accident so I did'nt think it would cost much. The initial quote made me think that he had possibly had an accident before and was trying it on as I appeared to have buckled the whole rear end of his car but done no damage to mine. I convinced him to have a second quote done by a garage I trust and they came back a bit cheaper (£680) but with the same damage report. So I have gone through my insurance and lost 2 years no claims. I still can't believe that so much damage was done to his car - new bumper - new rear plate - realign the tail gate - mend boot floor etc etc when the visible damage was so small.
Oh well! my advice steer well clear of Ford KAs they are made of papier mache (in my opinion of course).
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back