Foreigh Electrician considers my meter faulty. Please confirm

In my absence a foreighn electrician atempted to repair a socket without switching off the fuse box. I was told he accidentally touched the wires with his screwdriver and expected that that would automatically switch off the fuse box. When it did't he said the fuse box was faulty.

If he was to touch live and neutral together, or live and earth together, one would expect the fuse to blow or the circuit breaker to trip.

However, if he was to touch neutral and earth together, he may have been expecting an RCD to trip. It doesn't appear you have an RCD, as your wiring is older. If you don't physically have an RCD, this doesn't make your consumer unit faulty - just dated.

Anyhow, it's an older installation, it is what it is.

If he was adding to or altering the wiring, he may insist on some kind of upgrade.

I'm not sure I like some of this bloke's method of working and testing, would be interested to see what his standard of work is like.

Sponsored Links
In my absence a foreighn electrician atempted to repair a socket without switching off the fuse box. I was told he accidentally touched the wires with his screwdriver and expected that that would automatically switch off the fuse box. When it did't he said the fuse box was faulty.
I do not know the electrician.
Do you often get random strangers masquerading as electricians entering your house in your absence and without your knowledge to fiddle with your sockets?

His work address isn't Thames House, is it?

Do you often get random strangers masquerading as electricians entering your house in your absence and without your knowledge to fiddle with your sockets?

His work address isn't Thames House, is it?

Just possibly when said "electrician" is sent by your home insurance provider as part of their emergency assistance service?

Sponsored Links
PBC_1956 asks: "Is that the same as your fuses? The carrier you pictured is Wylex brand, and that doesn't look like a Wylex consumer unit (fuse box)".
The photograph I attached was taken from the Internet. However, my fuses look exactly the same, in color and shape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back