Former world champion Burns dies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A great sadness. Richard
_39579133_burns203.jpg

Born: 17/1/1971, Reading
Rallying debut: 1988
World Championship 1998: First win at Safari Rally, also wins Rally of Great Britain
World Championship 2001: Wins world title for Subaru, 1st Englishman to do so
-----------

Sponsored Links
very sad and i feel it may be overlooked or relegated to a small column on the back pages. a talanted man

Thermo said:
very sad and i feel it may be overlooked or relegated to a small column on the back pages. a talanted man

More than likely, 1. He wasn't a footballer 2. He didn't drink himself silly.

A Great Talent and a good honest man lost. I had the privelege of knowing Richard after doing some work for him at his home. I found him to be a very sincere and honest man, quietly spoken, but certainly a determined man.

Obviously I never knew him like his friends and family did, but what little I did know was as good as any of the people that I call friends...

It is sad to think it will be overshadowed by the death of George Best, but as Richard was a private man he would probably have wanted it that way.

Rally has ywo massive talents this year, and both English..how tragic.

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Thermo said:

More than likely, 1. He wasn't a footballer 2. He didn't drink himself silly.

We must celebrate the life of an alchcoholic who wasted his life and the chance he was given, much sadder than a some bloke who just drives a car!!

The people in this country seem to have odd views, well the papers seem to think so, best I couldn't give a stuff about, Richard Burns was a far better person I think.
Al

Most people would celebrate GB as a footballer .. others let the media lead them, to a dark place.
He did ask, 'Remember me for the football...' I have done just that, believe me, he deserves that much.

The last of Richard's worries would have been comparisons with GB, he carried the respect of his peers, and a hefty phalanx of those of us daft enough to stand in Keilder Forest at 3 am to see him through.... Forget the media, motorsport has it's diehards .. we salute our own.
;)