formulae!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I am making a spreadsheet, but completely forgot how to do formulae! Using openoffice.

The spreadsheet is a weekly tracker. With the columns

B: opening stock
C: purchases
D: sales
E: known waste
F: closing stock

where closing stock F = (b+c)-(d+e)

How do i write and apply this formula to all rows?

Also I need a formula for all rows, for next week's opening stock to equal the closing stock of the week before.

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
I am confused normally such a spreadsheet would be in ROWS down the spreadsheet column, with the date of the week in question at the top. I take it openoffice is the same as excel and as such your need is very simple. In cell for closing stock(F) do the following: =(click on cellB)+(click on cellC) -(click on cellD)-(click on cellE) enter. this will give you what you are looking for. Just copy this cell(F) across the page and all the other F's will then contain the formula but based on the info in the cells above them ie cells B C D E.

As regards carrying forward the closing stock to the opening stock the following week just enter the closing stock cell reference in the opening stock cell eg closing stock cell f1 enter into b2 as: =f1. Again copy this formula across. Hope this helps

Just copy down rather than across then, the basics are the same. Very curious way of doing it though never seen it done this way in 20+ years.

Sponsored Links
I've managed to do the above.

I now need a sheet for wastage as a percentage of sales. So for example the columns would (might) be:

B: sales£
C: waste£
D: waste % of sales (this is the one im having problems with)
E: +- last week

There are more columns, but cant think of them now.

By the way, the weeks are going down the page row by row. There's 53 to fit in, so it made sense to have them going down. ;) This is how the pro's do it at work. (all our sheets are printed to fill in by hand, im copying them with formulae for my lazy boss) :LOL:

cheers so far!

openoffice looks just like microsoft software.

dolph said:
Just copy down rather than across then, the basics are the same. Very curious way of doing it though never seen it done this way in 20+ years.

Often I find it better to have dates going down the left hand column if the sheet is less than one screen wide but contains 100's of rows. But other times, project plans, time/effort recording etc I'll go with dates along the top.

20+ years - guess you cut your teeth on XT/ATs or perhaps twin floppy machines, how about Intel blue boxes with twin 8in floppies?

Crafty - waste as percentage of sales:

Either =Cn/Bn in cell Dn and format the cell as a percentage
Or =100*Cn/Bn

Pen and paper in the early 60's, then COBOL to programme the first banking computer that we had to have operational by D Day (Decimal). Remember thinking the first Amstrad with Exell was brilliant, had to F9 when changing formula or the calculations could take all day just for one cell change!

Back