Found the incoming BT cable buried in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a house - pulled up the old floor and found a dodgy repair to the concrete floor.
Removed the repair to find the incoming BT cable along with a "coupling" which makes its way to the master socket. Looks like a DIY job rather than BT.

I will be laying SLC over the top - could do with finding something a bit more suitable which will last. Really don't want to be lifting floors in a few years!

Pic attached of the mess. Any suggestions (waterproof box, crimps and some ducting to a new MS above the skirting?) ?

IMG_9854.JPG

Sponsored Links
Keep an eye out for an openreach van, and see if he'll run a new cable in for you; or you could do it yourself if the can get to the start of the cable. It's only a two wire connection.

I've had a closer look today. That is the incoming cable. It was then extended using standard extension cable.
Looks like the network is buried as there are no poles outside so running new cables isn't an option unless we start digging gardens up.

I have a drum of BT external cable which BT kindly left when installing a new line at another property. My question is how should I repair this cable - will those waterproof boxes be ok in concrete ?
Such as: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252801950816

This is what I have (I made a note of which pair is A/B :LOL: )

IMG_9876.JPG

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As long as you can join the wires, and then seal the joints, then you should be fine. And that joint looks damned impressive, but I suspect it's a bit OTT. As long as the cement isn't too sloppy and wet, then wrapping the joint in electrical tape will keep any water out whilst the cement dries.

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20171109-183230.png
Join all cores with your BT specification cable with silicone crisps and then protect connections, the concrete with semi dry mix.
Test connection is correct before you concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back