Foundation not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been digging out the foudations over the past week before i lay the concrete i would like to be sure ive dug correctly.
I have noticed the foundation concrete will be a little more on one end than the other due to the slope at external ground level. Howevre The top of concrete will be level, Will this be ok or is it back to more digging?

Sponsored Links
You do want the bottom of your foundation trench to be level, however, there's nothing wrong with steps in your trench bottom.
Just level out stretches of the bottom and cut in steps, if needed.

There is three foundation, only one that's 5meter in length is the problem. It'll have around 200mm less concrete than the others at the bottom. The top surfaces will all be level.

Sponsored Links
Never yet laid brick on the bottom of a found, if the tops level that generally does it for me :confused:

Height deviations in the trench bottom are fairly common and not a problem.

Architects draw theirs with neat steps or level bottoms because they don't want the drawing to look naff and rarely encounter the muck and bullets of hands-on excavation work.

They do the same thing with drain runs all neat straight lines. Tickles me. :p

On many sites you can count yourself lucky if the top is level, never mind the bottom. In theory the bottom should be level. The text books will tell you that the building will slip. I wouldn't know if it's true as I'm long gone by then.

They do the same thing with drain runs all neat straight lines. Tickles me. :p
I think they had a special banana rule back in the 60`s given away by the Pitch Fibre drain manufacturers ;)

Pitch fibre in the sixties? Luxury!! We were using the ultra modern-state-of-the-art Salt Glazed. Complete with user friendly gaskin it was a joy to use. :rolleyes:

For 200mm I'd have put in a step - that's three courses or a course of block. But the point of a step is to save uneccesary digging and concrete - which is a bit late now innit.

Load of bunkum.

As stated a level bottom is irrelevant. Where does it say that the concrete can not be thicker in one part of a trench than in another?

Slippage - give me a break.

Where does it say that the concrete can not be thicker in one part of a trench than in another?
Marcus Vitruvius, the famous Roman architect who wrote De Architectura,
states it in his Christmas special edition 18BC page XV1111.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back