Foundations needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an awful porch (see the pictures)
and I'd like to make it better. Because its located on the side of the house I can't put a pitched roof on without adding a drain and guttering which I think will look messy. I like things symmetrical so I want to go for something like this (apologies for my lack of photoshop skills)...

My question is - i'll need to create a brick wall, on the left of the image, up to the height of the existing lintel (if there is one - i'll bet anyone the existing door frame is holding up the bricks above!!!). As this will only be one course deep and 250mm wide can I simply build onto the current concrete porch base?? (which is a concrete slab)

The whole thing will be rendered afterwards and its simply a non supporting wall to make the porch look symmetrical. Once this is done i'll get a composite door and top light to fit the recess.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You'll have fun creating a stub wall that size with any strength or stability. Why not just put a 4 x 2 timber framework in?

Then one side would be wider than the other and wouldn't look right. That wouldn't be far off the frame that's already in there and I wouldn't fancy screwing in a composite door to that

Can anyone help? Should there be enough stability if it is strapped to the wall?
wall-start.jpg

Sponsored Links
I doubt either a masonry or timber solution would work, had you considered a narrow full height sidelight?

The opening is 1230mm so everything i've looked at involves a really narrow sidelight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back