Foundations poured - is my concrete too wet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We spent last weekend hand digging the foundations. 7 metres to a depth of 900mm. I'm still aching now!

Building control signed them off yesterday, and my ready-mix has just been poured. It struck me as being a little wet, though. Over the longest trench run, as the lorry was pouring into one corner, the corner 4 metres away was around 50 cm too low, and flow had stopped completely, so required shovelling from that point onwards. Should the flow have been this good?

I spent ten minutes checking levels and smoothing it out with a float, but found that during this period water started rising to the surface, and by the time I left it I had around 5mm to 10mm of water. This was actually very handy for gauging levels. Should I be concerned? Or remove the standing water with a shovel when I return home?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
You'll find that after concrete is poured, water will raise and collect at the top, this is not unusual. I personally would have tampered the concrete to level then left the water settlemnet on top until cured.

okay that's reassuring.

The water is still sat on top, as I was aware that it might aid strength if didn't dry out too quickly.

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
Sounds a little too wet for my liking but you can really take the **** with foundation concrete on small jobs, so no worries really.

when I returned home, five hours later, the water had all disappeared and the concrete now looks and feels good.

I was also greeted by a building control letter, informing me to proceed at my own risk, because they've not signed off the outstanding snags in my plan yet!

So, I think I'll leave things for a few weeks now :)

Gary

I worked in Australia for a year when I was a lad and we used to flood the foundations with water to stop them drying out. Concrete loves to be damp and the longer it stays damp the harder it gets.

Should I be worried about the temperature tonight? The trench felt quite comparatively warm to the outside air at 10pm last night - will it have enough heat from curing to fend off a tickle of -1 tonight:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=rg10

It's around 800mm x 500mm and 10 to 20cm below ground level so pretty substantial.

Thanks

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back