four lights double switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbor wants me to help him connect some lights in his garage.
He has put four florescent lights up and has a double switch on the wall.
He would like one switch to turn on two of the lights and the other switch to turn on the other two. I have looked at a diagram on the site but it only shows connecting one light to one switch with a chock block.
As I want to do it correctly and safely I thought I'd sign up here and ask first.

Thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
Here we go,

Cable 1 from switch to light 1 to light 2
Cable 2 from switch to light 3 to light 4

Connect all the blues to Neutral of the supply, you can do this at the switch position in the back box use 5a connector do the same with all the earths remember to use sleeving.

Switch

Live from supply connect to common of both switches by looping between the two.

Switch 1 Live from cable 1 into L2
Switch 2 Live from cable 2 into L2

The cabling should be a minimum size of 1.00mm twin and earth and the circuit should be fused at a max of 6a or 5a if using a FCU.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
The supply is coming from a consumer unit in the garage so I can take the supply to where I want it.

Well you have the option of looping in at the switch as deadshort's post or looping in at lights.

Likely easier to take supply to switch.

As I now understand it or think I understand it I have three wires at the switch, one the power supply and the other two going off to feed light 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 respectively.

In the switch 3 Neutrals connected together
3 earths connected together
Supply live to common looped to other common
and the two lives from the other two wires going to each of the L2's as above.

Again thanks for looking.

More or less.
You have 3 sets of twin and earth cables at the light switch.
One that is incoming from the consumer unit, with permanent live, neutral and earth (AKA CPC).

The other two cables go to the light fittings.
On one switch to lights 1&2
On two switch to lights 3&4

All three neutrals connected together in a suitable connector
All three earths sleeved green and yellow and then connected together in suitable connector.

Then as you say perm live to common of one of the switches, then a link to com of second switch.

Then remaining live (switch live) of cable to 1&2 lights in either L1 or L2 of that switch and repeat for cable that serves 3&4 lights.

Switch one cable to light 1 terminate neutral at neutral, switch live at Live and earth at earth, then add another cable to light 2 linking neutral, live and earth at each.
Then repeat that for switch two and lights 3&4.

BS7671(wiring regs) will recommend that testing procedures are then undertaken.

Thanks to all for clear and understandable instructions.

If I could please ask one more question, it's not worth starting a new thread as it still relates to the same garage.

He wants sockets in the garage.
So out of the consumer unit, in and out of each socket and back to consumer unit.
Question, do the neutrals and earths connect together in same hole on there bars or next to each other or is it the same which ever way it's done and does the live come come out and in to the top of the fuse that's being used.

Hi sorry, you should not be undertaking electrical work.

Please get an electrician.

Kind Regards,

DS

Thanks to all for clear and understandable instructions.
no probs
If I could please ask one more question, it's not worth starting a new thread as it still relates to the same garage.
That is up to you, I personally wouldn't!
He wants sockets in the garage.
Does he!
So out of the consumer unit, in and out of each socket and back to consumer unit.
new circuits require notification to building controls or installation by registered, self cert electricain.
Question, do the neutrals and earths connect together in same hole on there bars or next to each other or is it the same which ever way it's done and does the live come come out and in to the top of the fuse that's being used.

If it's a consumer unit, you will likely have MCBs, a neutral busbar and a earth busbar. None of the earths or neutrals should be terminated together, they go to their respective busbar and live in to MCB. New sockets will also require the additional protection of 30mA RCD. Does this CU have RCD protection available?

As already suggested. This work is beyond your knowledge to complete it in a safe way. Please employ an electrician to do the work for you.

Well you have the option of looping in at the switch as deadshort's post or ...
Indeed - but 'looping' is perhaps not quite the right word when there's nowhere to 'loop' to :)
Is that the best you can offer on the topic John?
There actually was a semi-serious reason for my comment - I wanted to mention the wording since I thought that the OP (who clearly has very little understanding of electrical wiring) might well be wondering where he was meant to 'loop' the supply cable to.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back