framing front of alcove question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have plasterboarded my alcove in living room and have bought some beading too coverup the wooden frame which is there obv plastered over by plasterer.

but i have just realised that i wont be able to mitre beading to achieve good finish due to the shape of the beading,,, has anyone any suggestions ??

i have posted pic of beading and pic of alcove to show what i have explained (probably pretty badly)

DSC00015-1.jpg

DSC00014-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
not sure what you mean by"cant mitre"

if your saying the confined space space stops mitring !!!!

or the shape of the moulding stops you !!!!!!

both answers are you can mitre them
providing you are only changing direction on one plane at a time [width to hight width to depth but not both]

cheers for reply what i mean is it would end up some thing like this,
with the little corner bit misse out on both sides

there may be easy way round it but i cant think
new.jpg

you place your molding on the mitre saw with one piece on the fence at the back and one edge on the base
the bit on the base needs to be mitred at 45%plus

in other words assuming the bit you want is on the l.h.side of the saw you should finnish up with a point facing the r.h.side nearest to you

and when you flip it over it will fit in the corner you wish to fill

if it helps you visualise it better you can use a bit of 1x1" or 1x2" under the molulding and cut it as you see it in place

Sponsored Links
cheers for reply what i mean is it would end up some thing like this,
with the little corner bit misse out on both sides

there may be easy way round it but i cant think
new.jpg

Get a tenon saw and cut it by hand.

In your diagram: the bit that sits inside the alcove you cut as you have drawn it. The bit on the outside you cut at 45 degrees, so the cuts are at different angles but meet up at the right angle in the moulding. Which will be at the corner of the alcove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back