Fraud Transhit gear change ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 51 plate Fraud Transhit has just had a new clutch flywheel skim and gearbox and gear cable, well it's a lot better but not silky smooth gear change as I was expecting, is this normal, it hasn't got the dual mess clutch thingy setup, but according to the garage has had a conversion at some point so it has a normal clutch, would this attribute to a notchy gear change particularly into 2nd, it was only done yesterday, it has 12 months warranty on the box and 2 years on the clutch.

Sponsored Links
should be a smooth gear change regardless mate, does it only happen 1st to 2nd or through all the gears, could possibly be the clutch is slightly out of line, the mounts are damaged allowing the box to flex a bit.

A genuine new Ford gearbox would be very smooth and quiet - albeit at a price - but a reconditioned one would only have new synchromesh hubs fitted which could result in a notchy gearchange. However, if the gears actually crunch when selected its a fair assumption that the synchromesh is worn, so it depends on what you mean by a 'new' box.
Its best to keep an eye (or ear) on it - with a 12 month warranty you're well covered. Gearboxes from a breakers have only 30 days warranty.
Be lucky!
John :)

Seems better after warming up, it will be checked at intervals for the warranty so I monitor it and see what they say on each inspection, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't improve, you could suggest a lighter grade of synthetic gear oil.....in fact some reconditioners fill them up with auto transmission fluid. I wouldn't know if this is a good or bad thing.
John :)

The shift mech ontop of the gearbox that the cables attach to seizes. It gets water running over it from off the scuttle panel. If it is not to bad you can pull the mech upwards and clean what you can get at of the shaft and then grease it.
This is if it is a fwd modle though?

Back