Free boiler for pensioners - system not flushed? no magnetic filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My OAP parents just had a new 'A rated' boiler installed by one of these private companies that install it for free through some kind of government grant scheme. It's a Worcester Bosh boiler. However following the install we noticed that some of the radiators were only warm from the top (and luke warm at that).

I had a look at the install and noted the following:
  1. No magnetic filter had been installed
  2. The solder joints had solder dripping down the pipes (not a functional problem but sign of lack of care and attention)
  3. No flushing agent was used
I rang the company and they said they don't provide a filter and they do not do a chemical flush as part of the deal nor do they do a power flush. Company is vivagas.

Surely they were obliged to clean the system out before hand? (and then theres an argument that it wouldn't need a filter)?

Pros, any advice I could go back to them with would be appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Free boiler means just that a free boiler, if the system hasnt been maintained why should the taxpayer have to pay to have it flushed ? if you wanted a magnetic filter you could have contacted any number of plumbers and had a quote but instead you decided to wait for a "free boiler, system flush and magnetic filter" I suspect your gonna get some stick over your post.

Free boiler means just that a free boiler, if the system hasnt been maintained why should the taxpayer have to pay to have it flushed ? if you wanted a magnetic filter you could have contacted any number of plumbers and had a quote but instead you decided to wait for a "free boiler, system flush and magnetic filter" I suspect your gonna get some stick over your post.

The old system had been regularly serviced every year.

Surely all installers would at least chemical flush before installing a new boiler? Otherwise you may aswell flush the taxpayers money down the drain. Installing a new boiler without cleaning the system is bad economies of scale, bad value for money and just plain stupid.

And if you dont like living in a society where the state tries to look after the elderly then I suggest you move to somewhere more conservative, or start a protest movement 'stop providing free winter heating for the elderly' - i'd be interested to see how many people join you. Just remember one thing... sooner or later you'll be an old fogey too.

Last edited:
Check the Benchmark Commissioning checklist in the back of the boiler's Installation Manual.

Flushing the system and adding inhibitor is a requirement of the manufacturer, otherwise the warranty conditions will not be met. They also advise fitting a filter.

Vivagas is an accredited Worcester Bosch installer, so they should be aware of WB's requirements.

I would report them to WB (0330 123 9339).

Sponsored Links
My Parents are now both 73 years of age. Dad has worked all his working life, Mum, most of hers apart from the interlude when she had my Brother and I. They've lived a simple life, saved a few £, and bought their own home. They even still have to pay tax on their pensions i believe. What are they entitled to now from the state in their old age? A bus pass, winter fuel allowance and possibly a small state pension I suspect.

Anything happens and they need care, they've got to pay for it. Anything else they need, they've got to pay for that too. So yes, I am a bit cheesed off when other folks get free boilers and then complain they dont like the quality of the installation.

My Parents are now both 73 years of age. Dad has worked all his working life, Mum, most of hers apart from the interlude when she had my Brother and I. They've lived a simple life, saved a few £, and bought their own home. They even still have to pay tax on their pensions i believe. What are they entitled to now from the state in their old age? A bus pass, winter fuel allowance and possibly a small state pension I suspect.

Anything happens and they need care, they've got to pay for it. Anything else they need, they've got to pay for that too. So yes, I am a bit cheesed off when other folks get free boilers and then complain they dont like the quality of the installation.
if your parents are pensioners and have an old inefficient boiler they are entitled to a boiler replacement. My parents were cold called about it. You could look into it for them probably just take a google search and a phone call from you. No need to be bitter about it.

Also, you should be peeved off if the tax payers money is wasted. Not that someone elderly has got something for 'free' (btw they also paid tax all their working life). What you should be ****ed off about is tax payers money is being used for shoddy installs which costs more in the long term than doing the job properly.

Left up to me your parents would have been checked to see if they really could not afford a new boiler, I have been to free boilers in some big fancy houses, its ok to have a 40k motor in the drive but some how still qualify for a new boiler, if your so worried about the water quality why dont you pay to have it flushed and a magnetic filter installed.

Left up to me your parents would have been checked to see if they really could not afford a new boiler, I have been to free boilers in some big fancy houses, its ok to have a 40k motor in the drive but some how still qualify for a new boiler, if your so worried about the water quality why dont you pay to have it flushed and a magnetic filter installed.
so it sounds to me like you're pi55ed off with the government and for some reason youve now assumed my parents own a 40k car?? or are you just making stuff up to help argue your point?

So either move to a country that better associates with your right wing views... or start a protest movement so the government stop helping the elderly. Spouting off on a forum aint gonna advance your cause.

Last edited:
Speaking as a taxpayer, I am disappointed that I am paying for substandard installations. The purpose of the scheme is not to enrich shoddy workmen or corner-cutting firms, it is intended to provide heating to people who need it.

Picasso may feel that he should be the arbiter of who qualifies and who doesn't. He is wrong.

I agree that it's a bit much to expect a magnetic filter to be fitted but, free boiler or not, surely they're entitled to have the boiler installed in accordance with BS7593 and the manufacturers' instructions!?

IMO, regardlesss of the politics or whether an individual agrees with the scheme or the qualifying criteria, it is in place and the taxpayers money is being used. Personally I would want the quality of the install to be safeguarded to ensure all that tax money isn't just being wasted by installers that want to cut corners to maximise profit.

As D_H mentions, the long and the short of it is to confirm with Worcester what the criteria is for their boiler installs to ensure their warranty is valid. That then needs to be fed back to the installers and the question asked, can they give you a written guarantee that they have taken the correct steps during installation that the warranty will be honoured, (magnetic filter not being essential) if there are any future issues with the boiler.

If the installer will not play ball, due to the system not being prepared properly by them, then it needs to be pointed out that if the situation isn't rectified then the information will be taken to the government agency who oversees the scheme.

thanks guys, have checked the installation manual and quite clearly states
  • '..the following pre-installation requirements must be met before starting the boiler installation..' then it goes on to explain the system must be flushed
  • 'Failure to comply with the guidelines for use of water treatment with the appliance will invalidate the appliance guarantee and contravene the building regulations'
will update you guys as to the outcome, they said a manager will call me tomorrow

Picasso:

Here you are. You might not like it, but these are the rules. It's not up to you to change them. Out of interest, which are the ones you don't agree with?

https://www.gov.uk/energy-company-obligation

Eligibility
You must own your property or rent it privately and have the owner’s permission to do the work.

You must also get one of the following benefits:

• Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
  • Working Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit (and you earned £1,250 or less after tax in any assessment period in the last 12 months)
Extra conditions
For certain benefits, one of the following must also apply:

• you get Child Tax Credit and your child’s disabled
  • you get Disabled Child Premium
  • you get Disability Premium
  • you get Pensioner Premium
  • you receive a work-related activity or support component - if you’re claiming income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • you’re 60 or over - if you’re claiming Working Tax Credit
  • you get a limited capability for work or work-related activity element - if you’re claiming Universal Credit
  • you get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment - if you’re claiming Universal Credit

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back