Free money...definately NOT about cold radiators :-)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well ok maybe I lied :LOL:

I've looked back through many of the posts on cold radiators, have tried some of the suggestions, and would like some more advice.

OK here we go:

Radiator itself it stoney cold.

Two pipes come down to radiator. One is cold, runs down to the left bottom side of rad. Half way up warmer (blockage here?). I bled the rad at the bottom where there is a nut and it let out blackish water which was cold, but then clear and hot. After a while pipe went cold again.

Other pipe goes to right side of rad. cold also, slightly warm at top.

Bled rad from top valve, very small amount of cold water came out (half a cup if that).

Boiler is Potterton Puma 80e. Have pressure on 1.5-2, stays fairly constant.

Have tapped pipes to try and release blockages to no avail.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Robert

Sponsored Links
If you've tried all that, the next thing might be a powerflush.

If it's just one radiator, you could take it off and flush it with the garden hose. It's cheap!

Airlock in pipe above radiator sounds favorite... need to back fill with mains pressure.

Sponsored Links
Last couple of rads I cleaned out with those symptoms got warm all over again, but, the acid in the sludge had caused pinholes (blocked by sludge) and started leaking as soon as they were put back on.

Thanks for all the replies.
Will, not sure what you mean by backfill with mains pressure. Could you elaborate?

Thanks for all the other replies, I make take the whole thing off and do the garden hose trick. How do I deal with the pipes as they are, turn the water off and drain the system first I assume?

Cheers

Rob

To remove a single rad.

Turn off valves at both ends. Get a container to catch the water (something that will fit under the valves). Make sure you have the valve body held tight, then carefully undo the large nut that holds the valve to the rad, loosening and tightening to allow the water out. when the flow slows undo the bleed screw to all air in. If the valves are holding then it should be ok to undo the other end of the rad in the same way. Place something on the floor to catch spills as the stuff still in there will stain carpets or flooring. retighten bleed screw and as you lift the rad from the wall turn it upside down to take it outside (this stops any spillage).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back