free range - my foot!

Absolutely, supermarket meat is pretty awful. We always get ours from the local butcher. So much nicer when you want 5lbs of mince to see the actual meat being minced. I must say that I've never rated British beef much, but then you have to take into account that Argentinan beef has suffered from F&M periodically so it's supply is erratic and American beef is stuffed with banned growth hormone. That said, the best steak I've ever had was at the gaucho grill

Sponsored Links
even the fat on Argy beef tastes delicious.

best i've ever tasted and that's having eaten Aberdeen Angus too.

I bought a battery chicken last year but it run out..

Sponsored Links
i cheated :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

shot a goose on the river ;)
how is the meat over the pond Kev?

from my brief (holiday) visit i remember it being very good. whether i was eating native beef though is another story. U.S. ground beef (mince) was excellent and made great burgers.

Just to add my fourpennyworth. I have not touched supermarket meat for years. I have to travel 8 miles for a decent butcher but its well worth it, Cornish grass fed local beef and moor bred lamb takes some beating, and its no more expensive!!! P.S. Old Cornish Sausage take some beating too.

Just to add my fourpennyworth. I have not touched supermarket meat for years. I have to travel 8 miles for a decent butcher but its well worth it, Cornish grass fed local beef and moor bred lamb takes some beating, and its no more expensive!!! P.S. Old Cornish Sausage take some beating too.

Are they that tough then, that they require some beating? :D

Hi Noseall

As an ex butcher I know a little bit and hope you don't get your meat from the Alan Warwick chain in your area.

I can't believe people shop there!!!!!! :eek:

Hey Bahco, happy new year! :LOL:

i respect and bow to a butchers knowledge.:cool:

i am aware of the quality of butchered meat and subscribe to purchasing when we can. the taste and texture difference is clearly not imagined.

my gripe is, the times when it is inconvenient to visit the butcher, why should we be forced to eat rubbish when we have to buy from a supermarket.

Crafty butcher? .......:eek:

Id always rather support the small local guy..we done it for years buying a womans eggs, she was on her own with two boys and came round door to door selling eggs...they were about a third more expensive than the shops. and a bit smaller...but it helped her out

But the local butcher who we also support when we can, was charging 48 quid for a 16 pound (or whatever that is is kilometres) turkey, as much as we'd like to put money he's way we had to let it go and buy a frozen one.

I spose his supplier was charging more as well but you have be realistic.

We have bought oakham chickens from Marks and Sparks and they do taste like chicken used to taste like before we started messing about with it.

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
Back