Free standing wall, will it stay up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to demolish an outbuilding in my garden:

20180423_172555.jpg

As you can see, it also forms part of the boundary of the garden. I'm going to reuse the concrete slab as a patio base. There is a square brick pier half way along the structure on the inside.

My question is can I also keep only the outer wall? Will it be safe?

I also can keep a block's worth of wall coming back into the garden on the end you can see. I would also knock a block or two of height off the wall.

Sponsored Links
How thick is the wall? If it is half brick (4") almost certainly not safe to leave as a freestanding wall over 1000mm tall, even with the central pier and end buttresses.

I've got a leaflet somewhere giving the maximum safe heights of freestanding walls, I'll see if I can find it.

How thick is the wall? If it is half brick (4") almost certainly not safe to leave as a freestanding wall over 1000mm tall, even with the central pier and end buttresses.

I've got a leaflet somewhere giving the maximum safe heights of freestanding walls, I'll see if I can find it.
That only applies to new walls with a foundation, the condition of this wall will be questionable at best. There's a guide for garden walls on the planning portal https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls/2

My library was more organised than I expected.

For Zone 2 which includes East Anglia max height for half brick thick freestanding wall (100mm) is given as 450mm tall; one brick thick (215mm) given as 1300mm tall; one and a half brick (325mm) given as max. 2175mm tall.

That is from an old Dept of the Environment leaflet based on BRE GBG 13 and 14. We were all given a copy at work when a local child was killed by a 3ft wall falling on them.

Just looked at Freddies link, that is exactly the same as my old leaflet from about 1985, I wonder if anyone actually bothers to check and update these things or whether they regurgitate the same old guff.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's single brick width yes, though it's concrete blocks. Thanks for the responses - looks like it's coming down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back