Freeezing pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my "shower too powerful" question, and thanks for your help with that one, I'm on to the next one. Buddy needs to install a stop cock in a 22 mm mains pressure pipe near one of the apartments so they can isolate that room since it's rarely used.

But they can't turn off the water supply to the whole building and "someone" told him, "all he needs to do is freeze the pipe so there's no water flow, cut it and fit the new stopcock and then let it thaw out". Is that so? And is this something we really can reliably do easily from some kit we can hire or what?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Yes you can hire a electric plug into mains , freezer kit . As to easy , that depends on type of pipe , situation of pipe + how much damage it`ll do if you don`t get it right - in a DIY situation . As a pro plumber I would go for shutting the whole block , but then I`m cautious ;)

If the main feeds other flats, it could make it more difficult to freeze, if someone in another flat opens a tap you will lose your plug before it has set.

Although less likely with a machine, some of those are carp and I wouldn't risk it.

The cans of pipe freeze are a definite no in this situation.

As above, inform the tenants and turn off the block, it will only be for a short period

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back