FREEVIEW AERIAL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved in to a new house. I have inbuilt freeview televisions in the bedroom and need to put a loft aerial in and don't know what I am looking for. All the rooms have sockets and I have found black cable in the loft that I take has to be hooked up to the aerial. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Loft aerials are not really recommended for freeview.
Does your new house have an outside/roof aerial?
If so and you are getting bad reception, check your aerial is pointing in the same direction as your neighbours.
It's best to have an aerial roof mounted, then a multi-room box installed in the loft.

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on the strength of the signal in your area as to whether you need just an aerial and a simple splitter, or if you need something with a bit more oomph - a splitter that is powered.

Signal strength isn't easy to answer. Sure, there are web sites and stuff that will tell you general signal strength in your area... but it is only general and not specific to your house. I was talking to someone yesterday who lives a short distance from one of Britain's biggest TV transmitters. The web sites say they should get a huge signal, but they don't. There's a building smack between them and the transmitter. Best bet without spending money is have a look at what your neighbours have. Go ask them if their reception is alright.

I take it you need a loft aerial because there's something in the rules for the new estate stopping you having an outdoor one? If not, then a roof aerial is always a better bet.

So, baring the above in mind, here's a quick rundown of possibly ways to sort what you need...

If you have a really strong signal in your area, and your aerial can point at the tiles rather than the brick walls in the loft space, then a loft aerial with an inductive splitter may well work okay. You can get these splitters that will feed up to 4 TVs no problem.

If the signal strength is a bit marginal then an outdoor aerial, possibly with a mast head amplifier (this one is powered) will work better for you. You can use an inductive splitter again as long as it has something called DC Pass (...most do).

For anyone considering a new aerial then I'd always recommend getting it supplied and fitted by a Pro. We have the gear to measure the signal strength and get the best results from whatever signal level you have in your area. You'll also avoid wasting time and money on buying stuff that isn't suitable.

Good luck

Thanks guy's for all your replies. I live in the outer hebrides so a roof aerial is not ideal, also signal is poor. My neighbour has problems getting freeview but her house is down the hill from me. I am higher up so should get a better signal. I now know that I have to get a 4 way splitter, but what type of aerial should I get. Thanks.

Your transmitter is on Group A, so you'll get the best reception if you go with a Group A aerial to match. An XB10A would be a good choice for your loft install. Here's a link

A Group aerial will give better reception than the highest gain wide band aerial, so don't fall for anyone's suggestion that you should buy a wide band aerial. When you receive your aerial do check that it is a Group A. We can tell this by the colour of the end cap. A group A aerial will have a red end cap.

If you are fitting this yourself then talk to the supplier about brackets and cabling.

Make sure that the aerial points through the thinnest section of roof and not through brick or stone, which will attenuate the signal.

To minimise signal loss, be sure to use double-screened coaxial cable such as WF100.

If the cable run is long, you may need a 4-way masthead amplifier rather than a passive splitter, since the signal losses in the latter will be quite high.

Keep aerial and cable away from mains wiring, lights and other sources of interference.

If you still get analogue TV then wait as the digital signal could get stronger after switch over. (I appreciate that in Sussex we will be the last to get switched over.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back