freezer noise after moving on its side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a used Kenmore compact freezer- 564.29501990 and it seemed to be working fine when I purchased it, but I moved it in my car, laying it down on it's front door side with the top tilted down a little bit in my passenger seat of my Honda Accord.

After the car ride home (1 hour), I turned it on for a minute to check that it was working and turned it off (no noise).

About 4 hours later, I turned it on and after a few minutes, the freezer started to make a sucking noise as if it was trying to pump something through the coils, so I turned it off and let it sit for 24 hours and turned it on the next day.

The next day the sucking noise started again immediately after I turned it on, continued for about 5 minutes before it turned into a rattling noise.

Over the course of 20 minutes, the rattling noise got faster, but the noise level lessened.

After about 20 minutes, you could still hear it, but it was very low.

The freezer seems to work fine and after 30 minutes, I can see some frost on the coils developing.

When I touched the round tank at the bottom of the freezer in the back, it was extremely hot- almost too hot to touch...is this supposed to be that hot?

Did I damage my freezer during the move?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back