Freezer with cut in insulation too warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, 6 month old integrated Bosch fridge freezer. Somehow (no idea how !!) We find a big cut in the bottom front edge of it - just where the door seals to it. The door seal to the fridge is still good but the cut, whatever it is, has gone right through the plastici.e it's a hole into the insulation. The fridge is not able to get cool - stays around 5 deg. Warmer than it should be. My question is, is it just a really bad coincidence that we have this slice through the fridge or is that affecting the insulation of the fridge somehow ?
The fridge seems to be working fine in itself i.e. it's got a really cold back (frozen drops of water all down the back). And I've just run its diagnostic check ok. But we do get lots of water on the food - we have a feeling that's actually because the fridge door sometimes doesn't shut properly . However, when i definitely know the door has been shut properly (when I've been testing it) it still can't retain temp.

Is that slice in the insulation affecting the temp somehow or maybe it's a bust thermostat ?

Any thoughts folks ?

Thanks for any help,

Sponsored Links
A nick in the seal will affect it, but I would not expect it to drastically affect it cooling wise. It will let some moisture in thought.
5C is about right for a fridge. -16 to -20C for a freezer.

Most fridge/freezers need to be in a room temperature environment to work proper, where is yours?

Is the motor running constantly, struggling to achieve temperature?

It's still under warranty so call Bosch out. Unless you have psychopathic member of the family that likes to slash the inside of fridge freezers then it is obviously a defect that should be rectified by them.

Thanks for this guys,
We have this big slash/hole due to us accidentally doing "something" - we have no idea what. It's keeping temp at around 9 deg plus. certainly not the 2..5 deg that I set it to.

My main question is whether breaching the plastic liner of the fridge will cause some vacuum to be broken or something and thus cause the worse insulation. I'm getting the impression that you folks think not?
The motor runs a lot but not seems to be reasonable - it does turn off - hmm, if it turns off does that mean it thinks it's got to temp - and thus a thermostat issue ??

Sponsored Links
Your fridge isn't a vacuum flask, it's just expanded plastic foam like celotex (or like the core of cladding used on the outside of buildings).

The motor might be turning off on account of reaching the set point.... or maybe on account of over-temperature (of the motor) protection. Do remember though, there's one compressor, but two compartments at two different temperatures and probably only one thermostat (that of the 'fridge).

Nozzle

The cooling element circuits are in the plastic lining of modern fridge / freezers, you can see where most of them are, might one of these have been breached?

What are you using to check temperatures, how do you know its accurate?

There are almost certainly two thermostats no? I have two separate electronic controls.
I am recording the temp with a thermometer which I've made sure shows the same temp as an electronic one I have in the house so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. It certainly would be accurate within a few deg and it's showing that the fridge is at least 8 deg out.
When you say the cooling elements - would they go all the way round to the front of the fridge - or just the back/ The sides of the fridge feel quite warm - but the back of it is really cold - i.e. it has frozen water droplets on it. Does this indicate that the cooling element is working just fine?

Does this indicate that the cooling element is working just fine?

They should not feel warm, if its an auto-defrost, might the heater be stuck on?

If there is frost on the elements, it suggests they are working - even a tiny leak would quickly release all of the refridgerent. The element circuits can usually be seen as tracks in the moulding of the plastic interior.

Usually there is just one thermostat, in the fridge compartment, just one motor and just one element circuit in smaller F?F's. They rely on if the fridge is cold enough, the freezer will be as well.

When insulation fails, it will often absorb lots of moisture, sometimes freezing it and that will melt out and create a puddle if allowed to defrost. Signs of failing insulation are a cold outer metal skin of the F/F.

Hmm, difficult to get to the outer skin as it's integrated. However, I think everything so far that you've said feels like it's gonna be a bosch warranty job.
Thanks for your help - you've been great !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back