Freezer working perfectly, Fridge totally dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an Indesit BAN144NF, I am not sure but I think before going to bed I didnt close the door properly last sunday, and all of a sudden since monday or so, the Fridge has been totally non existent, not cold nothing, although once the door is open, the fridge light does come on.

The freezer underneath on the other hand is ice cold, all the things I transferred to the freezer have now gone frozen.

I have done some searching and fount this, but I wanted to get the thought of some experts here before doing anything.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080905113659AAWRL11

I will appreciate all the help I can get at this difficult time, would prefer to avoid buying a new one if I can.

Sponsored Links
is it a frost-free with a fan?

do what he suggests.

unplug it and leave with the fridge door open overnight. you may find a considerable amount of water as it defrosts.

It can be a build up of ice in the channel that leads from the freezer to the fridge. (caused by the open door).

I have had this before, defrosting the bottom bit should sort it out.
I did mine by removing everything, taking the back panel off in the freezer & hacking away, because I had nowhere else to put the food in the mean time.

It can be a build up of ice in the channel that leads from the freezer to the fridge. (caused by the open door).

I have had this before, defrosting the bottom bit should sort it out.
I did mine by removing everything, taking the back panel off in the freezer & hacking away, because I had nowhere else to put the food in the mean time.

Thanks for your reply, yesterday I hacked off the ice in the freezer section thinking that it was going to sort the problem out, but this didnt seem to make a difference.

I have now emptied the freezer, taken out all the trays and left the 2 doors open, I pray that all will be well after doing this.

And yes, its frost free. If the freezer is frost free, I thought that means that I should not be having ice build ups.

I aim to leave this open for 6 hours as I am worried that If I leave it overnight, it might ruin all the food.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't believe the term "Frost Free"...... :LOL:

I wouldn't believe the term "Frost Free"...... :LOL:

Hi All,

Just to give you guys an update, I switched off the appliance yesterday, opened the fridge/freezer doors for around 5 hours.

After doing this, the freezer was working as usual but the fridge is still completely dead, I was tempted to do this whilst away at work or overnight, but I want to know if 5 hours is enough, I also opened the kitchen windows just to let in some bit of fresh air. Could this cause it not to defrost properly.

Any thoughts welcomed.

defrost is 24 hrs with mc unplugged ,try that and turn on again 10 hrs later freezer will be cold and fridge will be cold 18 hrs later ,make sure fast freeze is on but only for 12 hrs after defrost

Hi All,

Just to give a quick heads up and provide information so that if another person falls into same problem, they know what to do.

In my own case, this was thet problem. ther is a fan in the lower freezer section,The way the fridge works is that the fan in the freezer section blows the freeze coming from the freezer upwards towards the fridge, I was told by an expert to listen for the noise of a fan, I realise that I couldn’t hear any fan, then he said to me that my fan is faulty, at this stage I was happy that at least someone was able to diagnose the problem for me without having to pay a penny.

I took apart the freezer section / panel to reveal the inner workings of the freezer and to also expose the fan as well, I disconnected the cable, went out to buy a new fan, but later found out that my own fan was working.

In the end, after taking out the freezer panel, I also managed to remove all the excess ice as well instead of waiting days for it to defrost. After doing all these, I reconnected the fan, put the panel back up and now I can hear the fan loud and clear. So the reason why the fridge was dead was because the fan wasn’t blowing cold air to the fridge. Now that the fan is working, everything all seems to be working fine now.

I hope this information helps others.

Also, I learnt that once problems like this occur, its mostly likely to be

Thermostat
Freezer Fan

Hi All,

I am back again sadly, last week, I turned down the control of my fridge as everything in the fridge was freezing, since doing this my fridge has gone from being very efficient to not chilling at all.

The last time, it was the fan that was faulty, now although I can hear the sound of the fan, Its still not geting cold, and it makes me to believe that soemthing that controls the temparature (thermostat) is gone.

Although, I am still yet to open it up to check the fan to make sure that its spinning as it should do, but I am sure I can hear it.

This morning, I took out the fridge component and since then for about 10 minutes, I cant hear the sound of the fridge nor the freezer. I am not quite sure of what to do now to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back