French doors not locking properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, after a little help here!

I installed some French doors and all went well or so I thought until I tried locking the doors, one side locks no problem but the other doesnt - it WILL lock however the key will not rotate enough to take the key out so the key has to stay in the door.

It all locks fine when the doors are open.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Presumably if you lock the door while it is open you can turn the key sufficiently? If so then almost certainly a slight alignment problem. The key doesn't do a huge amount externally- most of the locking is out of sight. Either the main latches or (more likely from the sound of it) the hole where the lock tongue engages will be slightly out of line, 5 minute job with a screwdriver usually

Sponsored Links
Presumably if you lock the door while it is open you can turn the key sufficiently? If so then almost certainly a slight alignment problem. The key doesn't do a huge amount externally- most of the locking is out of sight. Either the main latches or (more likely from the sound of it) the hole where the lock tongue engages will be slightly out of line, 5 minute job with a screwdriver usually

Thanks for that oldbutnotdead. Yes no problem at all, locks and can take the key out normally.

I was thinking, would tightening the frame screws a little too tightly maybe cause it?

I'll post some pics as soon as I am abe to.

Yes overtightening the frame screws could deform the frame enough to cause resistance to the locking mech. Does the handle go up all the way easily when you lock the door (with it closed), Have you tried lifting the door up by the handle shaft while you're turning the key? And have you had a look at the frame for any scuffs or wear on the edges of the holes where the locks engage with the frame? Or (simple) have you measured how far out from the frame the lock tongue protrudes, is there enough of a hole behind the locking bar on the frame for it to come out all the way? Has the frame behind the bar been cut away enough?

Yes overtightening the frame screws could deform the frame enough to cause resistance to the locking mech. Does the handle go up all the way easily when you lock the door (with it closed), Have you tried lifting the door up by the handle shaft while you're turning the key? And have you had a look at the frame for any scuffs or wear on the edges of the holes where the locks engage with the frame? Or (simple) have you measured how far out from the frame the lock tongue protrudes, is there enough of a hole behind the locking bar on the frame for it to come out all the way? Has the frame behind the bar been cut away enough?

Thanks again for the detailed reply, much appreciated oldbutnotdead.

I am pleased to say I have managed sort this issue out alrhough I couldnt tell you how to be honest as I did quite a few things - loosened the frame screws and had a play about with the flag hinges in particular these screws

20190910_182643.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back