French river cruising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone has any info they'd like to share about river cruising anywhere, I'd be glad to hear them.
I've just done one from Avignon to Lyons.......absolutely hopeless, fed on around £3 per day, stale bread (in France)! and set your own place for breakfast.
All for £7000 per couple o_O
We all got Covid too!
Have a good evening, everyone.
John :)

Sponsored Links
That must have been nice for you NOT. Friend of mine is currently on his third somewhere on the rhine. He goes with Saga ( silly old s*d) and loves it.

That must have been nice for you NOT. Friend of mine is currently on his third somewhere on the rhine. He goes with Saga ( silly old s*d) and loves it.

Friend of mine just got back from a Saga cruise, not a river one but reckons the service was outstanding.

Sponsored Links
I was hoping this idea would start off new holiday interests.....not so!
The company is named very similar to River.
I was hoping that we'd see the bank sides every day, cruising along - but no. All of the relocating was done at night so we saw next to nowt and were encouraged to scarper off at 9.30.
The more 'luxury' companies charge £9000 per week / couple for the same event. That's getting out of my league!
A letter has been sent - definitely not looking for compensation at all - just constructive criticism so we'll see what happens.

Always wanted to hire a boat and do the Canal Du Midi. Will be done one day. Not sure about cruises. A week on a floating petri dish with a load of wrinklies discussing our ailments puts me off.

For sure, the Canal du Midi is a beautiful place - I'm familiar with it in the Carcassonne and Beziers areas.
A trip started at Castelnaudary (the training centre for the French Foreign Legion - and you wouldn't want to mess with them) down to Carcassonne.
A couple of things that would concern me though.......it's as hot as hell down there and I don't know if any of the pleasure cruisers have A/C,
The mosquitoes are particularly bad at times, which can induce utter misery!

For 7k per couple I’d have provided a hostess and skipper on a 46fter sailing boat mono or 40ft cat. Shared with another couple. All inclusive.

Obviously not the same kind of holiday but 7k buys quite a lot. You should go through the brochure and check what they promised and make a claim.

I guess it all comes down to a question of standards.....some people seemed to be quite ok with things, others less so.
The crew were either Romanian, Czech or Bulgarian, the captain wouldn't say where he was from but I suspected he was Russian. The boat was registered in Switzerland and despite being in France there was no French influence at all.
We had one good meal on board ('The Captain's Gala dinner) where we all waved our napkins like a load of morons as the Chef strutted his stuff.
Other meals were hopeless - seriously.
Things like uncollected glasses on the upper sun deck (no bar service there) and splash stained water carafes added to our displeasure.
I thought I was paying enough....clearly not so.

For sure, the Canal du Midi is a beautiful place - I'm familiar with it in the Carcassonne and Beziers areas.
A trip started at Castelnaudary (the training centre for the French Foreign Legion - and you wouldn't want to mess with them) down to Carcassonne.
A couple of things that would concern me though.......it's as hot as hell down there and I don't know if any of the pleasure cruisers have A/C,
The mosquitoes are particularly bad at times, which can induce utter misery!
This reminded me of a book I read a few years ago. It got mixed reviews but I liked it.

If anyone has any info they'd like to share about river cruising anywhere, I'd be glad to hear them.
I've just done one from Avignon to Lyons.......absolutely hopeless, fed on around £3 per day, stale bread (in France)! and set your own place for breakfast.
All for £7000 per couple o_O
We all got Covid too!
Have a good evening, everyone.

Why did you pick that particular cruise? Recommendations / Reviews?

Sponsored Links
Back