Fridge circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to run fridge freezer in kitchen and small chest freezer in utility room from the same m.c.b. on non protected side of c.u. Radial wiring (2.5mmm2) from kitchen is in and a round pin 5a socket used (New in on the 31-12-04 !!). The reason for running radials is kitchen freezer is east of c.u. which is in the utility but utility freezer goes west and is only a 2m cable run away !
My question, Is there a specified size of m.c.b. I should be using or is my spare 16a (I know the cable can take this)that I'm using now okay.
Just wondering as they both use less power than all the halogens I have downstairs and they're on a 6a m.c.b.

Sponsored Links
Use a B16 MCB feeding a 13amp fuse-connection unit on a 2.5.mm cable to power the fridge/freezer dedicated circuit(s). MK-K330WHI will do.
The FCU gets round the problem of rcd protection on sockets downstairs.

So my 16a mcb is ok then. But why the 13a fcu when this/these (radial) circuits are in no way connected with any other circuits apart from each other at the mcb ?

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
You have used unfused plugs??
:oops: Just looked inside plugtop (not fitted yet). Think I'll revert back to normal sockets and plugs and take the 5a jobbies back to work :oops:

mk make round pin fused plugs and the fuses to fit them (the fuses are to some older british standard not bs1362 or bs1361)

the highest fuse you can get in that form is 5A though (though i suspect from the dimensions mk give that a 20mm fuse would fit)

I've seen them before, at the school where I'm studying for my A-levels, the stage lighting system is done with 15A round pin plugs, there are metal clad sockets on all the lighting bars (8 on each), each one is fed by a flex which appears out the end of some ducting near the dimmer racks, and each one has a white square 15A plug on the end, with a red number printed on the back, and each one is fitted with a 5A fuse (the flexes are quite thin), when a bulb goes sometimes it takes out the fuse as well, which can be a bit annoying if no one bothers to replace it

cheapskates

they should have used normal unfused 15A plugs with suitablly sized flex

As a 16A breaker and a 13A fuse dont discriminate reliably, and the rest of the world manages fine with unfused plugs on radial circuits, I'd not worry about that at all. Just make sure the breaker is small enough to protect the flex on the applience adequately, if its only serving one socket, there is no question of fault discrimination then. Dont use a 5 A fuse on a fridge, the inrush on starting can be 20 to 30A, so even a Btype 16A breaker can trip even if all is well, if its a frisky one.
regards M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back