Fridge excess water due to condencation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
My 3 yr old Whirlpool under counter fridge has developed a fault over the last 3/ 4 mths. Fridge has no freezer box. Prior to the hot spell we are currently having.
Water collects on the bottom tray and i empty it on a daily basis. Fridge setting is at 5.
Any suggestion on what is causing this would be welcomed
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't have an electrical problem.
There's a separate section on DIY.NOT dedicated to APPLIANCES.

Let's get you transferred to the damp side.....

Is the door seal okay?
Seal in good order all arount the door no splits or dirt trapped between door & Seal
What model fridge is it?
Fridge instruction book is general and covers all whirlpool fridges. No help at all. Its the small under worksurface with no freezer box. sorry i cannot be any clearer

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. My fridge had an air vent blocked with ice, the result being excess moisture had nowhere to go and was eventually running out of the front. Once I'd found the problem it took about 30 seconds to solve using some kettle water.
Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. My fridge had an air vent blocked with ice, the result being excess moisture had nowhere to go and was eventually running out of the front. Once I'd found the problem it took about 30 seconds to solve using some kettle water.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your advice. Can you please clarify how kettle water was used to clear the vent
thanks again

Basically the vent had filled with ice and I initially tried to defrost the ice using a hair dryer, this took ages, kettle water poured directly into the vent (or whatever it is supposed to be) cleared it almost instantly. This may not be the answer to your problem, however checking the vent should be quite easy. It could even be a bit of food stuck in there, perhaps a runaway pea. Let me know if this was the problem as I could be miles off : )

If its an auto defrost appliance, check the drain hole at the back isn't blocked with grot.....water needs to run down there and on to a tray at the back to evaporate.
John :)

Basically the vent had filled with ice and I initially tried to defrost the ice using a hair dryer, this took ages, kettle water poured directly into the vent (or whatever it is supposed to be) cleared it almost instantly. This may not be the answer to your problem, however checking the vent should be quite easy. It could even be a bit of food stuck in there, perhaps a runaway pea. Let me know if this was the problem as I could be miles off : )

You are a star spot on problem solved as u stated 30 sec's.
Really appreciate your help :D

If its an auto defrost appliance, check the drain hole at the back isn't blocked with grot.....water needs to run down there and on to a tray at the back to evaporate.
John :)
. Spot on drain hole was blocked. thanks for your help. appreciate your advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back