Fridge freezer and a freezer on same spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if I can run a fridge freezer and a second freezer off the same spur? They are both free standing with 13a plugs and I can get to the sockets easily. I have been told that 2.5 twin & Earth can take 26amps so on the face of it it seems OK but I need to be sure. The specs for the applainces don't show what they draw.

Sponsored Links
fridge freezers don't take much so it will be fine.

Don't do the same with a drier, oven or washer, though.

No I'll baer that in mind. Having said that that's the situation at present. We just moved in and they have both of those on a extension lead!!

Sponsored Links

I have 2.5 twin and earth feeding our garage. Three sockets and the lights. It then continues on to our shed. Lights, freeezer and tumble drier. Occasionally I use the tumble drier socket to plug the lawnmower into. Never had any problems.

one tumble drier is OK, but if there was a washer as well, the load would be too high when they were both on a heating cycle.

Sadly this often happens in utilities and kitchens. Even a double socket on a ring often overheats with that.

I cannot get my head around this. They say to work out the amps you need to divide the Watts by the Volts. So a 2.5kw dryer rates at 10.5 amps (less than the 13a fused plug). Then add a Washing machine to the same spur.
So are we saying that these two appliances with 13amp fuses will heat up a 2.5 twin and earth cable to a dangerous level? Isn't the cable rated at over 20 amps minimum anyway? So surely these two appliances will be within limits? Am I wrong? I know that there have to be limitations set for safety reasons but I also know that these limits can often be a little too safe.

its the terminals and connections in the socket, and the socket itself.

Your extension lead is even worse, since it has one 13A plug, and the cable cores are thinner.

its the terminals and connections in the socket, and the socket itself.

So are you saying that the 13a socket is incapable of taking the specified rating? How can a 13a plug fitted by the manufacturers to an applaince be unsafe in a socket rated for two 13amp plugs? I'm not trying to be clever but I still don't understand.

you said you were running two appliances through a single spur. Is that right?

What is the spur fed from?

How many outlets does the spur supply?

Last edited:
you said you were running two appliances through a single spur. Is that right?

What is the spur fed from?

How many outlets does the spur supply?

The spur is fed from the main ring circuit. The spur supplies one double socket.

is the spur cable connected to the RFC by soldering the wires together? Or is it connected inside something?

A double socket is not required to safely carry a 26A load.

Why didn't you answer my question about the extension lead?

is the spur cable connected to the RFC by soldering the wires together? Or is it connected inside something?

A double socket is not required to safely carry a 26A load.

Why didn't you answer my question about the extension lead?

You said "Don't do the same with a drier, oven or washer, though" I responded to that statement telling you that this is the case with the dryer and washer. My post was about a fridge/freezer, asking if I could use them both on a spur! That is what I ma talking about, not the extension cable feeding the washer and dryer.

this question isn't about a freezer and FF.

I cannot get my head around this. They say to work out the amps you need to divide the Watts by the Volts. So a 2.5kw dryer rates at 10.5 amps (less than the 13a fused plug). Then add a Washing machine to the same spur.
So are we saying that these two appliances with 13amp fuses will heat up a 2.5 twin and earth cable to a dangerous level?

this question isn't about a freezer and FF.

Yes the question was about a fridge freezer and a freezer. Can I plug them both onto a spur? The dryer and washing machine on an extension cable response was superfluous to the post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back