Fridge freezer blowing main rcd breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Tonight, out of the blue at 11.30 pm, my main rcd switch blew, took the whole power out obviously. It wouldn't reset at first and also the ring main breaker had tripped as well. So I switched all the sockets off, flicked the breaker and rcd back on and started switching the sockets back on one by one.

When I switched the fridge freezer socket on, out went the power again. So its definitely that appliance.

Is it repairable or is it a new fridge? The appliance actually belongs to my landlord as the house is rented. I will be contacting him in the morning obviously, but just want info before I do so.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
pull it away from the wall and see if water from the drain hose or the evaporation dish has got onto an electrical part. Sponge out and clean the dish, and clean any fungus or food particles from the pipe (both ends)

Unplug it first, obvs.

Examine the flex, plug and socket for damage

Its most unlikely to be repairable.

The LL might have some kind of repair policy as they are good value for fridge/freezers.

But its his responsibility!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back