fridge/freezer circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it necessary to have a fridge/freezer on a completly different circuit,due to when it switches itself on and off, maybe frequently and trips out the MCB. My personal opinion is no, seems rather belt and braces. and are then any I.I.E. regs that cover this?

Sponsored Links
It's an open ended debate. There is no regulatory requirement to have appliances on a separate circuit to other (RCD protected) sockets. It is good practice to keep fridges & freezers off of the RCD for the obvious reason that a nuisance trip, at say 1am, when everyone is asleep would result in the freezer defrosting overnight.

If you can, it is good practice to dedicate a circuit for this reason. There is one regulation to bear in mind though which is to RCD protect any socket which may reasonably be used outside the equipotential zone. Therefore the only time I would run this circuit in a downstairs kitchen is if the socket outlets are hidden behind the appliances.

This does not stop people moving the appliance to plug in a faulty lawnmower and then getting fried but in my opinion it is a dedicated socket for the appliance!

Are you saying that you have got problems with the F/F tripping the MCB, or you fear you might? There is no doubt that the compressor(s) on these can have significant starting surges.

Benefits of a separate circuit:

1) No background load on the MCB - less likely to trip.

2) Often easier to have without RCD protection.

3) Easier to fit a type C MCB - less likely to trip.

I have a special circuit for my Fridge Freezer too - 2.5.mm cable off a B16 MCB Breaker, and onto a 13amp fuse-connection unit with a cord outlet for the Fridge Freezer, no problems about sockets and RCD's here.

Sponsored Links
It's times like these when you might consider fitting a fuse carrier in the CU in place of the MCB...

ban-all-sheds said:
3) Easier to fit a type C MCB - less likely to trip.

not really your dedicated cuircuit would likely have a 16A or 20A breaker. the fast trip point of a C16 is the same as a B32 and a C20 isn't a great deal higher.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query
Great help
Regards
Mike W

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back