Fridge/freezer driving me crazy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a small, rented studio. My fridge/freezer has recently started to hum periodically. It then makes a clicking noise and stops. But it hums for approx an hour at a time. A humming in a small studio quickly becomes a crazy-making kind of noise!

The thing is, my landlords are lovely and have gotten me two new fridges (they even searched online for a "quiet" fridge) but the problem still persists. Is there anything I can do? They must think I'm the pickiest person ever but it is driving me up the wall and I am running out of options...

Sponsored Links
It sounds like vibration from the fridge compressor.....is there any chance of standing the unit on something compressible, like a camping mat or similar? It should calm the vibes to some degree.
John :)

Thanks, John. Would a towel do the trick? I'm just thinking about what I have at home. If the towel works then I could buy a camping mat thing somewhere!

Anything to cushion things would help, but a towel is likely to fold up when you slide the fridge into place - unless you have help! Its also too compressible.
You know the white packaging material, expanded polystyrene? That will also work but it does tend to be a little brittle!
The noise from the appliance is entirely normal...its the motor running, which cuts out when the thermostat tells it to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, John, I'll see what I can do. I udnerstand the noise is normal but it is just driving me insane...sigh! The person who invents a noiseless fridge/freezer would get my custom! Thanks again.

have you defrosted it recently ??
it could be a build up off ice the fan is hitting

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a brand new fridge/freexer. Hasn;t had the time to develop ice!

running for more than say 10-15 mins at time to me is excessive

if its leaking it would only take say a few weeks to ice up

Yesterday, the humming noise went on for approx an hour at a time.

It was only installed yesterday so really is brand new.

So, I tried to put a camping style mat under my fridge/freezer but it didn;t work. There is not enough room inbetween the appliance and the counter for that to work. ANy other suggestions on how to stop or muffle the irritating rumblings..?? I am genuinely dreaming about the whirrings and it;s driving me mad.

have you tried moving it a few inches in any direction in case its vibration against another surface thats the problem

i would be prodding pulling wedging and see what difference anything makes

try pulling it out clear off any surface in the middle off the floor on a matt to rule out the surroundings

Have you tried cutting the mat to size, then plonking the fridge in place and then sliding the whole thing in?
It sure must be tight in there......which may explain why the appliance is running for so long as the ventilation must be compromised.

So, over the weekend, I noticed that the buzzing happens most often after I have opened the fridge...

i wonder if its air seeping in vibrating the seal like a reed

go round the door seal and the frame the seal closes onto
clean it with a damp cloth and remove any labels or plastic tape that may still be stuck there and remove any glue residue

next time try pushing the door onto the seal and see if it stops
this can be central or working round the door listening for noise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back