Fridge Freezer not cooling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Indesit A+class upright fridge freezer, under 18 months old which seems to have completely ceased working.
The fridge will only get luke warm and the freezer section is keeping the food only half frozen.
I have removed the thermostat and linked out the wiring to eliminate this as a cause but am finding that the compressor might start up but will only run for a few minutes then cut out.
I have read in previous posts of a thermal cutout for the compressor, but i'm not sure of its location or if it can be tested or even if this is a serviceable part.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
It is physicaly attached to the compressor, even if you get it off it is not servicable. Not a diy job.

I've just been at the back of the fridge and felt the compressor, which was red hot, this I imagine is activating the thermal cutout.
Is this sort of temperature normal for a compressor, especially one so young?
What could be the root cause of this?

A compressor will run hot, too hot to touch. There is a faulty either with the compressor (most likely) or there is insufficient cooling. Assuming the fridge/freezer location/surrounding have not changed, I think you have a faulty compressor.
You can always make a tele call to a service centre & ask the cost of replacement + call out, & weigh that up against a new unit.

Sponsored Links
If this is a frost free fridge freezer check the cooling fan underneath the cabinet make sure it is running and the condenser is not full of dust and fluff. My money is on the system being short of refrigerant because if there is no cooling fan under the fridge then the compressor uses the cool gas coming from the evaporator to cool the compressor, and because there is not enough gas to cool the compressor it gets hot and trips on it's klixon overload.
If it has lost gas then you are better off getting a new fridge because even if you get someone to fix it you can guarantee they won't repair the leak so you will have the same problem in another 18 months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back