Fridge Freezer on the blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Brandt Fridge Freezer is suffering the blues. It just will not go cold enough to freeze in the freezer compartment, ice cubes are semi frozen! The thermostat is turned to max and the compressor runs albeit it seems a bit reluctant to start. There is good airflow round the back and it doesn't seem to be overheating there.

Any suggestions good people?

Sponsored Links
sounds like it needs re gasing, new fridge is probably easier (unless yours is still under g'tee

Is this a Frost free freezer :?: Is the fridge OK :?: When you say the compressor is reluctant to start does it run and then you hear a click noise and the comp stops. If it does this then the compressor is knackered. Is there 2 compressors at the back.

Hope I can help, I,m a fridge engineer.........or try to be

Sponsored Links
Thanks for suggestions all,

but I've cracked it - even tho' the fridge freezer is supposed to be frost free there is a small grill behind the freezer drawers which was blocked by ice - no cold air circulation but thermostat thinks its OKand stops cooling.

Top class design, well done Brandt!!!!!!!!!

If there is ice behind the grill then the coil will not be defrosting properly, keep an eye on the temp of the freezer, the coil could still be blocked with ice. Make sure the fan inside is running, if your up to it remove the back panel with the grill on it and you will see the cooling coil, make sure there is no ice build up. :!:

Hi all. My Brandt ff fridge freezer has been playing up for the last month or so. The freezer has only been cooling to between -8 and -10.

Took the bottom drawer out and found a collection of ice behind the drawer. Scraped it all away and found the small grill across the bottom.

As has been mentioned - the freezer thermo thinks its still cold due to the ice blocking the grill. Its currently on defrost so hopefully tomorrow it will be back up and running at -18 !!!!!

Thanks for the tips :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back