Front Door Adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front door on my porch seems to have moved slightly, and is no longer sitting 'squarely' on it's frame. Consequently, the door is not shutting propertly and intereferes with the frame when I shut the door.
The bottom-right of the door is sitting tight on the frame and the top-right has a gap.
It is a double-glazed type door and I have attached some pictures to show the problem.
Is there any way to make an adjustment for this type of door (I can't see any way to adjust it) ?
:(

Sponsored Links
SILLY Q,but have you tightened up the top hinge?

is that a allen nut between the screws?if so have you tried adjusting it?

All hinges are tight.
I think there is slight wear on the hinges.
I was wondering what the Allen keys were for on the door-side of the hinges.

There's a gap on the bottom left side of the door so the bottom right hinges need packing out but undo the middle hinges first, if that doesn't do it then will need toe & heeling method

Loosen the hinges screws then tighten the allen key to pack it out then tighten the screws

Sponsored Links
You say "The bottom-right of the door is sitting tight on the frame and the top-right has a gap. "

Are you sure of this? The pictures seem to suggest the opposite (ie gap at bottom right). It's pretty well impossible for a plastic door to drop on the hinge side (unless the hinges are loose), but they drop like mad on the lock side at the first hint of sunshine. "Toeing and heeling" will cure the problem. See http://www.doubleglazing.com/diy_toeing_heeling.htm for details

The bottom right door edge is touching the frame and opposite on the left there's a enough gap to play with because the left side of the door is almost touching or rubbing on the cill. Failing that then toe & heeling

To clarify things, when looking face-on to the front of the house, the door has shifted anti-clockwise, by about 2-3 mm. (1.e. dropped on the lock-side). Doesn't seem alot, but it means that I have difficulty in closing the door.
By the way, the door is not plastic, but metal.
I will follow your suggestions and get back.
Thankyou !

I have tried adjusting the allen keys.
They seem to do nothing at all (some were loose).
Tightening doesn't seem to do anything.
Whay I have noticed is, that there seems to be quite a bit of wear in the hinges, which have allowed the door to drop, and also there is movement cross-ways on the hinges.
I think I should replace the hinges.
I believe that the door was originally made by Horizon.
Can anyone suggest a supplier?
:mad: :?: :cry:

I would do the toe & heeling method first, I'm 100% confident it will sort it out.

Can you toe and heel an aluminium door? I think we should be told...

I think I'd try packing the bottom hinge first if there's enough room on the R/H side to accommodate this. (undo middle hinge first).

Can you toe and heel an aluminium door? I think we should be told...
Yes but not easy though, sometime you have to loosen the screws surrounding the door.

I think I'd try packing the bottom hinge first if there's enough room on the R/H side to accommodate this. (undo middle hinge first).
That's the first thing I would do as my first advice above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back