Frontera hesitation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone help with the following problem,
The vehicle is a Vauxhaul Frontera 2.2 turbo diesel ( T reg) On most journeys the engine managemrnt light will come on and the car will become sluggish, this may last for several seconds then the light will go out and the car drives as normal. this will normally happen several times on each journey.
The car has been in to the main dealers who kept it for a fortnight and also to 2 other garages, one of these a diesel expert?
A diagnostic test revealed code P0400 (exhaust gas recirculation).
A new air mass meter has been tried along with interchanging the EGR transducers.
To date, no one has been able to cure this problem, Is there anyone who has any ideas or may have experienced similar problems. Any help would be great, many thanks. Jocojohn

Sponsored Links
I am not familiar with the Frontera but, the exhaust gas recirculation devices, on other vehicles, do bring about similar problems. Are you able to blank off the EGR valve in some way, in order to see if the problem disappears. Disconnecting an operating solenoid (vacuum or electric), might be a start. but, only if it does not interfere with any other engine function.
The EGR system should only be operating at low throttle anyway so, does this problem only appear when the engine revs reduce, say, at traffic lights? Has the EGR feed pipe, from the valve to the manifold, been thoroughly cleaned. On a diesel this does get "gunged up" and, at low throttle can seriously impair air flow.

Thanks for that info Watchermaker, The vehicle in question is not my own but I will pass on the info and let you know the outcome, thanks once again, jocojohn

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, but the owner decided to part exchange the frontera for a mercedes without bothering to try out the posted replies, Thanks once again to both of you, Jocojohn

Back