Frozen Cold Water Pipes / Banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently suffered from frozen cold water pipes which was probably my fault as i didn't isolate and drain an outside tap behind the kitchen sink before the big freeze.

Anyway now that's done and as an extra precaution I'm looking at lagging the pipework where i can.

Can anyone suggest the best material for lagging (i've used the grey B&Q stuff in the past - not sure if it's any good though?) and also to stop some minor banging that's occurring.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the insulation should be at least 15mm thick to regulations but a lot of the insulation u get isnt that thick but should do the job if youve got banging thats because some pipes that are unclipped need fixing

thanks, appreciate the advice.

I'll make sure i lag and clip well!

Sponsored Links
update...

Ok I located some loose pipework which also crossed in several places underneath the new fitted kitchen. I seperated the plastic pipework and clipped every couple of feet and have also insulated with climaflex where possible (some of the pipework is too close to wall /adjacent pipes). I concentrated on the cold water piping as that's where my initial freeze was.

No frozen pipes since, but we've had no sustained minus temperatures in Manchester recently.

The original banging seemed to occur in two places;
1. where the hot and cold crossed just before they were capped off (a result of moving the plumbing for an extension) - this now seems fine with the improvised "seperation dampener"
2. both valves below the hot / cold mixer tap to the kitchen sink. Reading elsewhere I think this maybe water hammer? I may be overly conscious of it now but i've seen you can get arrestors, anyone recommend if they're worth it?

Thanks

where possible (some of the pipework is too close to wall /adjacent pipes).
pipes adjacent to an outside wall are the ones that will freeze first.

Yes should be ok then - pretty much got all the pipework on any outer walls insulated (cold water especially). We've got the boiler in the adjoining garage on the "internal" wall next to the house. But we seem to have three 15mm pipes for water entering the house - i've only managed to insulate one of the outer ones for reasons described above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back