Fruit flies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered if anyone else is having fun with these little blighters of late?
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef621.htm

It seems every time I open the bin in the kitchen about a dozen flies emerge. The wife ensures me that the bin is clean and that a bin bag isn't there for more than a day or so. Still, it does provide me with amusement as I splat em against the window.

Sponsored Links
"Time flies like the wind
Fruit flies like bananas"

Very good John :)
I didn't have any bananas. I have thrown what fruit we have in the bin outside though. I'm not risking them bug**rs laying eggs in the peaches!

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
I just wondered if anyone else is having fun with these little blighters of late?
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef621.htm[/QUOTE]

Well... you may be the prophet of doom. My house is empty just now because we're redecorating but I went into the kitchen this morning and congregated around the remenants of my sweet and sour from last night were a gang of these thugs.

Good news? That fly trap on the website is working with red-wine vinegar :)

check that there is no old fruit hiding in a cupboard or somewhere else.

As someone who used to drink a lot of cider these are a very familiar pest.. always flapping around me pint!

mlb3c said:

Definitely fruit flies. Seem to have gone now but they're still hanging about in the local pub. They do food so I'm guessing that it's the kitchen bins that's attracting em.

I have one of those electric fly swats - like a small tennis racket but the strings are an electrified mesh. It's great fun. You can swat at a fly then keep turning the juice on and off and watching em smoke. :evil: The wife keeps looking at me with raised eyebrows when I get it out....the swat not my little friend. (no use for fruit flies cause they're too small but regular flies are toast)

You could try one of those chip shop style vinegar shaker bottles, with ordinary vinegar in. leave it out near the bin and it'll soon fill up with em.
They seem to be drawn to it, can get in the lid but cant swim.

Spray areas with a bleach and water solution. Worked for me. Works on other bugs as well.

Well, next time one of these beasts lands in me tea, I'd rather hope they had previously squatted on fruit (preferably fresh :LOL:) than on hot steaming dog dirt :D.

Each summer, we get scores of these in our conservatory, even with mesh screen over open windows & doors.
I usually spend a few minutes each evening vacuuming the blighters up.

Sponsored Links
Back