Full fibre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a simple question. If I change my broadband from VM to another supplier who has offered me "full fibre", will someone replace the crappy (not used for years and cut off halfway up the wall) BT copper wire to my house?

Sponsored Links
Unlikely.
If what you are getting is real fibre to the premises, then any old copper cabling is obsolete and is likely to be just left there.
Installers are paid to install, not remove.

They will replace up to the premises but leave the old cable cut off complete with clips.

If it's openreach fitting a fibre cable to your house they may if asked nicely remove the copper. Is it a cable that comes from a pole to your house that is cut?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes it's the old multicoloured stranded from the pole - when we previously had broadband via that cable it never worked very well so if I go down that route I wouldn't want it reused.

Change of plan! I switched the WiFi off on my wife's phone and did a WiFi speed test on her 5G smarty SIM - 300 Mbps!

Best I've ever had with our VM250 is 120 and it's incredibly inconsistent and constantly dropping out.

After a bit of Googling I've ordered a ZTE MC801A 5G Wifi 6 Router and a £15/month Smarty unlimited 5g SIM on a one month rolling contract. Got to be worth a try and apparently works well for many people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back