Full rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it "regulations" that I have to fit smoke alarms when I get my house rewired?

Sponsored Links
i think its building regs that says you must, but why not do it anyway, it could save a life

Having your house rewired does not require you to fit smoke alarms. At present the building regulations do not address electrical instalations at all.

The requirements in respect of smoke alarms are to be found in part B which can be read in full here

The significant paragraphs for you are 0.19 and 1.2 to 1.22

i did say "i think its building regs that says you must" i didn't say it IS, (and to save time its page 18 in the pdf viewer), but i also said "but why not do it anyway, it could save a life" :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, but breezer, that isn't what you meant to say, is it?

Thank God GwaiLo was on hand to once more cut through the thickets of obfuscation with the machete of his insight.

am i missing something? or are you reading something that isnt there?, all i said was i THINK its the building regs, and why not fit them anyway ( i know its early, but sorry, still can't see what is "wrong")

Paulh53, regardless of the regs (building or electrical), I agree with Breezer that fitting mains powered smoke alarms is always a good idea.

My father is an ex fire fighter, and my father-in-law is a serving fire fighter. I have therefor heard many stories of people found after fires, unburned but dead from smoke inhalation. Working in the property rental market for a while, I know how many people (lots) take the batteries out to stop alarms sounding whilst cooking, and then forget to put them back.

Fitting mains smoke alarms as part of a rewire is not much more time consuming than a few light fittings, and the extra cost (at £12 ea alarm trade + labour + vat) is far less expensive than a funeral. If you are fitting them retrospectively , then linking them together may require running a 3P + E between the first floor and upper floors, which will require tidying in some manner.

I always fit them into any rewire. Round here a large number of houses are rented, and some of the better agencies insist on main powered smoke alarms. Everyone else we tell the kids in the wardrobe stories (this apparently is where most kids hide from fires and choke to death), to get the point across. Whilst landlords are notorious for cost cutting, dead tenants don't pay any rent.

Put a detector on each level of the property (ie basement, ground floor, first floor, second floor, loft conversion etc.), wire them all off of the same supply, and connect the links. Up to 12 can be linked. This way if there is smoke on one floor, the alarms on all of the others will sound too. This also comes in handy to summon everyone to dinner, as my cooking will usually trip the detectors! In a domestic situation, best not to put a detector in the kitchen as the heat from cooking will continuously set it off.

I usually feed from lighting circuits as it is rare that even really stupid people will leave the power to the lights off just to shut up an alarm tripped by cooking.

BTW You can get mains powered detectors for heat, smoke and various gases / ions too, as well as combination units, so check that you are getting the right type. These are usually used in commercial settings, where heat may be expected but not smoke (kitchen), or vice versa.

Thanks for your advice chaps, I was going to get them fitted anyway, But was just checking to see if they are mandantory, Your advice & comments where most useful :D

Good advice amtodd,

I don't know if this is a good advice but I have a smoke alarm link up to the burglar alarm system,the reason is,if the electric mains trip the smoke alarm will still work with the battery back up up to 8 hours.This was recommended by the alarm company.

I had an ADT alarm which was linked to the smoke alarms. In theory if the smoke detectors were tripped and not reset within a few minutes (I think it was two minutes) the system dialed the control centre. The control centre then dialed me. If i was at home I could tell them the alarm was false, and they would reset, but if I was not at home, they would advise the Fire Service, who would go round and break the door down!

Fell out with ADT, so the present system is mains with duracell back-up.

Moved house and they told me the alarm was theirs. When I got to the new place, they told me the alarm was mine and that I should have taken it with me, and then they tried to charge me for the rest of the contract! :evil:

Think your version much more amusing though :D

smoke / heat detectors wired to an intruder alarm are a pain in the elbow, you are led to belive you have a fire alarm, which you havent (fire alarm differnt cable, regs, panel, the whole lot. )

also they will phone instantly for a fire signal (trust me) and yes if you do not answer they will send the brigade, they are nothing but a pain, get stand alone ones or a fire alarm, never ones wire to the intruder alarm

useless fact.

it is called an intuder alarm, because who ever comes in, comes in truder window :cry:

I have had 2 conflicting advices on this one.

Put you alarm cct on a lighting cct..... You know when the cct is down

Put fire alarms on independent cct...

Which one gets the vote ?

a properly installed alarm will be on its own supply be it fire or intruder, you can not spur off a lighting circuit any way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back