Full width 6 metre knock through

Any ideas what the weight would be approximately? I'd guess it's 2.5 metres long, 150mm by 220mm ?

I was hoping to loosen it up and drop it out vertically with 4 or 5 blokes on hand! Do you think I'm being a bit optimistic there?!

Sponsored Links
You might just do it. If you go into Wickes, and check the wight of the concrete lintel that's 1.8 x 100 x 65, then yours is 11 times that size. If you're using 5 men, then each of them needs to be able to pick up 2 of the wickes lintels easily, and I don't think many of them can. But as I said earlier, if you can lower it down a foot, on about 6 acrows, then you can cut it in half using a 9" angle grinder with a stone blade, which will cut though steel as well as concrete. Having got the outer beam installed, you can balance the inner lintel on a few acrows, and then just push it outwards into the garden. But push it with a lump of wood from a distance, just in case it comes backwards.

Concrete is 2.5 to 3 tonnes per cubic metre, 2.5x0.15x0.22x3000 is approx 250kg. With 6 of you you're looking around 40 - 50kg each if we apply a bit of margin. While I've never understood how picking up a 50kg girl is easy, but lifting 2 bags of cement is much harder I do think you should consider some mechanical assistance if you're lifting it out in a one. I'd be hiring a 3.5 ton excavator for a week and using it to dig the foundations for the extension too. It'd probably be cheaper than buying the necessary rounds for 5 lads who just muscled a quarter ton down your back garden.

I'd also consider just throwing that lintel into the readymix as the foundations are being poured, and don't tell your BCO

While I've never understood how picking up a 50kg girl is easy, but lifting 2 bags of cement is much harder I do

Buy your lintel a few drinks and tell it you think it could be a model. That normally works for me.

Sponsored Links
Does that work for all lintels, or just the 250kg ones that you have a special way with? ;)

Ee.. The things you have to do to get em to appreciate your full width 6 metre knock though..

Good point... Be careful- Some of the ones that look like 50kg to start with end up being 250kg in the end and you can easily get your arm trapped underneath and have to chew it off to escape! I'm not sure having six blokes is the solution though. That's just weird.

Good point... Be careful- Some of the ones that look like 50kg to start with end up being 250kg in the end and you can easily get your arm trapped underneath and have to chew it off to escape! .

Sounds like you bought those rounds before you picked up your lintel rather than afterwards. Tis a terrible thing to suffer from a premature congratulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back