Full width dormer distance from party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon everyone,

I have been reading a lot of posts but could not find a specific answer to our question. I hope you can please help.

Would a full width dormer, built on a semi-detached house, need planning permission or fall under permitted development if it was built on the neighbors' party wall?

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Building on the party wall is nothing to do with planning regulations.

Apologies I am not sure I understand. Let me clarify: the house we would like to buy didn’t ask for a planning permission. Our solicitor is asking us to check if the dormer was built less than 0.5meters away from the party wall. Apparently they should have applied for a planning permission. I checked on the gov website I can’t find any of this.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi there! What do you mean? Apologies first time buyer so trying to understand if there is a real issue here!

Apologies I am not sure I understand. Let me clarify: the house we would like to buy didn’t ask for a planning permission. Our solicitor is asking us to check if the dormer was built less than 0.5meters away from the party wall. Apparently they should have applied for a planning permission. I checked on the gov website I can’t find any of this.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Is your solicitor actually a solicitor? They don't seem to know much about planning law or party wall issues.

Where does this 0.5m come from, apart from your solicitor's own mind?

There are a set of "permitted development" rules, which if followed mean it doesn't need planning permission - I believe they relate to - no dormer facing road/on "front" of the house, a maximum increase in internal volume, not raising the ridge (highest point of roof) height and being set back from the eaves (bottom of roof slope) by a small amount (I think 20 or 30cm). If the loft conversion needed PP and was built without it there is a 4 year enforcement period so check when it was officially completed. From your point of view it's equally (or arguably more) important that it was built in accordance with building regs - particularly fire safety.

Thank you both. I don’t know where this 0.5 meters come from: I could only find it to be applied in Northern Ireland but couldn’t find it for England!!!
Would you then say it seems ok (meaning not to apply for planning permission) to have the dormer very close to the neighbours party wall?
they clearly were approved for building regulations and they have a kind of certificate to confirm Total Building Control Ltd checked.
sorry, again we are first time buyers so hope it makes sense!! Many thanks

Provided no part of the dormer (including the fascia etc) extends beyond the line of the boundary (typically the centre f the party wall) then it would be Permitted Development. Ask your solicitor what legislation they're looking at. Dopey ****s that they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back