Fully pumped system; Noise issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the views on the noise issues relating to pumped hot/cold water systems?

I'm concerned that the location of the pump on my new system (in airing cupboard next to a bedroom) will cause problems during nightime use.

Should the pump be audible across a hall way with the both the airing cupboard and bedroom doors shut?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I had my pump connected to bath & shower, very loud & I tried boxing it in, filling the box with fibre glass, putting it on rubber...not nice when the pumps starts in the early hours.

In short, yes! These things make more noise than the manufacturer would have you believe; around 35 dba doesn’t sound much but it’s still noisy & will definitely wake you in the night. I fitted a Salamander whole house pump in a purpose formed & sound insulated void next to the airing cupboard a year ago & all attempts to quieten it down were fruitless; a friend also has a Stuart Turner, which is supposed to be the Rolls Royce of pumps, & it makes more noise than mine! We have mains pressure to all the cold water points except the bath & 2 showers & I now only switch the pump on when we want to use those. On our system the water still flows under gravity quiet sufficient for normal use so it so it’s not really a problem but won't help if you need to use the shower while everyone else is still asleep!

Broadly speaking .................it all hinges on the quality of the installation........ya gets what yer pays for :!:

Sponsored Links
Broadly speaking .................it all hinges on the quality of the installation........ya gets what yer pays for :!:

I've paid quite a lot !

How can the quality of the installation affect the sound of the pump?

I now only switch the pump on when we want to use those. On our system the water still flows under gravity quiet sufficient for normal use so it so it’s not really a problem but won't help if you need to use the shower while everyone else is still asleep!

Is it possible to put the pump on a timer so that between say midnight and 6.am its switched off? ie do they inhibit the water flow when they are not working ?

Obviously from time to time someone might use the loo and (or!) wash their hands in the middle of the night. etc

Is it possible to put the pump on a timer so that between say midnight and 6.am its switched off? ie do they inhibit the water flow when they are not working ?
Obviously from time to time someone might use the loo and (or!) wash their hands in the middle of the night. etc
If you have sufficient gravity flow for normal use then put it on a timer. Once I realised noise was going to be a problem, I initially ran mine off a timer but, IMO, if the pump’s stuck it in the airing cupboard noise is always going to be unless you “die” when you go to sleep. Personally, I found being on timer still caused problems at weekends, mainly after a “heavy night” when you need to sleep in & particularly where guests are involved as some still insist on getting up at the crack of dawn regardless for whatever reason; & I always forgot to turn the bloody time off! But weather or not that will be a problem for you rather depends on your personal lifestyle. :LOL:

Thanks Richard C. I'm kind of getting used to the whizz now (!) but I'm going to have a bash at reducing the noise with some insulating materials. Failing that I'll stick the guests in the room nearest the airing cupboard! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back