Furlough fraud.

Sponsored Links
Surely, one of the fundamentals of I. T. is its freedom from geographical constraints?

Depends on the set up/need I guess.

He told me this week that the top brass have indeed looked at it, and realised that they are spending £10 million p. a. that they don't need to.......

Football table, pool table, beer in the fridge, fruit basket every morning, posh coffee machines etc.
There are real benefits to the staff informal get-togethers. That's usually where the novel ideas are generated, the organisations aims and objectives are internalised, etc.
It doesn't need regular in-house working practices but informal get-togethers are important
You can have a theme for the 'conferences'. The 'theme' can be less important than the social interaction of the staff.

Sponsored Links
True, office space redundant, high St retail redundant, out of town retail/warehousing/distribution for mail order? Amazon will be sucking it up at a discount.

In the US Amazon has hoovered up abondoned Malls and turned them into fulfillment centres.

There are real benefits to the staff informal get-togethers. That's usually where the novel ideas are generated, the organisations aims and objectives are internalised, etc.
It doesn't need regular in-house working practices but informal get-togethers are important
You can have a theme for the 'conferences'. The 'theme' can be less important than the social interaction of the staff.

In your opinion. Not facts.

So supposing an IT based company decide to close their building and employees work from home most of the time.
Would they get any extra pay for this? Because it costs them more for electricity, broadband, heating, sewerage, bog roll etc.

Well, that very much depends on the culture of where you work and if it is good and healthy, and of course if you like the people you are forced to work with. Sometimes it's better to be away from the school yard.

IT is a profession perfectly suited to the title "digital nomad", however, most of IT is incredibly old fashioned and stuck in its ways - I realise that might be a surprise given the pace of tech etc There's still an awful lot of dinosaur managers who believe if they can't see you then you're not working.

Oddly enough I get more done at home than the office as I'm not distracted by the total bull that infests most days. YMMV.

I was off for about a month on full pay, I'm now back at work.
I was asked and agreed to taking a week of my holiday towards it - I had a good rest and still have a job.
I'm happy with that.

We have been asked to take up to a week of our holidays as well.

This is mainly to prevent a log jam of people trying to take their holidays before the holiday year runs out. The government have now said that firms can carry over employees holidays to next year up to a maximum of 4 weeks.
We got 80% furlough, plus made to 100% by 20% from the company for the first month.
Second month was 80% furlough plus 15% from company and third month is 80% plus 15% again. Hoping to be back end of June/early July and we will be getting a pay rise. :)

I’ve just authorised our accountants to submit our September furlough claim. Blooming cheek, only getting 70% from govt. in September and 60% in October! Only joking, still a great help for many companies. Employers have to make up the employees pay to at least 80% from their own money. This is where we will start seeing redundancies unfortunately. :(

I’ve just authorised our accountants to submit our September furlough claim. Blooming cheek, only getting 70% from govt. in September and 60% in October! Only joking, still a great help for many companies. Employers have to make up the employees pay to at least 80% from their own money. This is where we will start seeing redundancies unfortunately. :(
I think people(myself included) are confusing furlough with self employed payment, which was what the thread I started was about. Furlough payments won't make any difference to your credit rating (as you pointed out) the thing which MAY affect it is payment holidays, whether it be mortgage,CC or any other loan.I wonder if I can ask the Government for some money?

My wife's manager was working whilst on furlough.
The company claimed that they didn't know he was making operational decisions (i.e. introducing a new rosta, declining holidays for everyone and booking people on courses that never started)

So supposing an IT based company decide to close their building and employees work from home most of the time.
Would they get any extra pay for this? Because it costs them more for electricity, broadband, heating, sewerage, bog roll etc.
Nope, you can claim some money for your expenses but it's trivial and almost no one bothers.

I miss pulling the team in to room and brain storming ideas, or simply wondering round to someones desk for a chat. Much harder on zoom.

Sponsored Links
Back