Further help required!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted the thread attached below yesterday and received a reply that said that I should look for a fuseable switch, either externally or internally, and re-set it.

I looked last night and there is definitely no external button, so I took off the casing to see if there was anything obvious, but with no luck.

Does anyone know where this might be found. As I said yesterday, the heater is probably around 15 years old.

cheers

===============================================
Hi,

I'm looking for some help regarding a Creda storage heater (white meter). The model is 79047B, but when I searched for this on the Creda website it said that the code was not recognised. The unit was probably installed around 1991/92 when the flat was built.

Firstly, let me make you aware that I'm not clued up on these things so you'll have to bear with me!

I have two storage heaters in my flat, one in the living room and one in the hall, and last week the one in the hall stopped working.

A similar problem happened a few years ago when both units stopped storing heat overnight and this was due to a stopclock in my electricity cupboard not working. This was replaced free of charge and the units have worked ok ever since.

Two events happened just before the heater broke down -

1 - The trip switch for our kitchen triggered about this time. I reset it and everything worked fine. I don't think this is related in any way, but I noticed that someone made reference to this on a previous thread regarding storage heater problems.

2 - The air vent on the heater was covered for a short period of time. Do these type of units have internal trip switches that are activated to switch the heater off if the vent is blocked? If so, how easy is it to reset the switch? Or do you have to replace a part?

I've altered the thermostat on the unit and also turned it off and on at the wall, but no change. I've also checked the mains supply and the electricity meter and everything is on and seems fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem.
It was caused by the input being on full and output closed (ie covered)

Inside the unit was a thermal link which had blown due to the amount of heat not being able to escape.

You need a spark in to replace the thermal link or link it out

I had a similar problem.
It was caused by the input being on full and output closed (ie covered)

Inside the unit was a thermal link which had blown due to the amount of heat not being able to escape.

You need a spark in to replace the thermal link or link it out

The thermal link is an essential safety device, you cant simply "link it out".

You need to replace it with a new one and if the heater works fine then all is well, if it blows again then there is a fault with the heater that needs further investigation.

Sponsored Links
If u stay in Glasgow there is a company in Southcroft Rd Rutherglen called BEMCO who stock spares for these if u tell them make and model they may have a fusible or thermal link and when you see it u will be able to find it in the heater and change it after making sure power is off.Short of getting in a spark,this could be a cheap fix.

If u stay in Glasgow there is a company in Southcroft Rd Rutherglen called BEMCO who stock spares for these if u tell them make and model they may have a fusible or thermal link and when you see it u will be able to find it in the heater and change it after making sure power is off.Short of getting in a spark,this could be a cheap fix.

Cheers,

Thanks for your help guys. Just one last question though!

I took the front panel off last night and could see that the fuseable link has broken away/melted - it's situated straight under the control panel. After doing a few google searches I managed to find the correct heater reference and the fuseable link spare part that I require, and I can purchase it online for less than a fiver - which is good!

However, how easy is it to replace the existing one? I can't seem to remove the top panel of the heater where the controls are to gain access - do I have to remove the external thermostat knobs to do this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back