Fuse Box Banging noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Need some advise please.

We had our kitchen done last year and previously we had a gas oven and the new kitchen now has an elctic oven. Since than we have started to lose elctricity on the ground floor every couple of weeks. What happens is that we hear loud banging noise from the main board/fuse board and than the lectricty cuts out on the ground floor only. If I turn all the fuse switches off and on everything works again. We also saw smoke from the soemwhere in the kitchen and decided to call a elctrician/builder in and he dug up the area under the tiles where the smoke was coming from and we decided to change the wire just for the Oven, i.e. the thick 240volt wire. everything was fine until this month where the problem has started up again at teh same point in the wiring there seems to be burnt marks same as the previous wire.

I feel stuck and don't know what is happening? We have turned the Oven switch off and yet the banging is coming and going. Any advise?

Thank you.

We could go on like this so we changed t

Sponsored Links
I advise you to get a proper electrician, not a "builder/electrician" and certainly not a monkey like the one who did your kitchen last year.

Ok I have, thank you.

Just wondering whether anyone knows if you can change the very old consumer unit for a new one when the wiring is so old that the sockets and lights come off one wire?

Sponsored Links
the electrician will be in a better position to tell you.

Get him to sort out the initial problem, then get him to either do a visual check or a full PIR to assess the state of this installation.

How old is the old wiring?
Any old fashioned fixtures you can describe?

If the 'old' wiring is flat cables with white or grey plastic coverings, then it is certainly possible that the fusebox can be replaced with a new consumer unit.

If the cables have a rubber, braided cloth or lead (soft metal) covering, or there are two individual wires contained in black metal pipes, then the whole lot needs to be replaced (actually it should have been replaced decades ago).

If the 'old' wiring is flat cables with white or grey plastic coverings, then it is certainly possible that the fusebox can be replaced with a new consumer unit.

If the cables have a rubber, braided cloth or lead (soft metal) covering, or there are two individual wires contained in black metal pipes, then the whole lot needs to be replaced (actually it should have been replaced decades ago).

or two individual wired within a wooden boxing with a flat cover and two grooves within.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back