Fuse Box - Can i add to it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

can i add another wire to the fuse box, or will an electrician need to do it ?
i am competent around electrics, but i don't want to do it if it will invalidate my house insurance.

ta

Chris

Sponsored Links
Adding a new cicuit requires an Electical Installation Certificate signed by a 'compentent' person. That is competent in the legal sense.

all i want to do is run a wire from the fuse box to the kitchen for the electric hob.

Sponsored Links
all I want to do is run a wire from the fuse box to the kitchen for the electric hob.

And that constitutes adding an additional circuit, for which you need an Electrical Installation Certificate.

he can do it if he goes down the building control route

If your not concerned with safety, yes he could. In my experience they dont have the staff/knowledge to know the difference between a cable and a rice pudding.

Q - you're being a bit harsh...

They can do the work if they notify - whether the BCO knows the difference between cable & rice pudding is their problem, not the OP's.

And your first answer was misleading. The OP asked "can I add another wire to the fuse box".

If that wire were a spur off the ring, the answer could well be yes.

Adding a new cicuit requires an Electical Installation Certificate signed by a 'compentent' person. That is competent in the legal sense.
Where does it say that?

all I want to do is run a wire from the fuse box to the kitchen for the electric hob.

And that constitutes adding an additional circuit, for which you need an Electrical Installation Certificate.
Where does it say that?

Seemed a reasonable question to me.

I typed donkey but it came up arse

the O/P lives in the UK, the O/P is going to follow the requirment to comply with building regs

he aint bothered that some forum bore claims he did it by complying with the Tibet 3rd District rule of seven

all you`ve done is make him wonder now if he does have to cert and if the " experts " LOL can`t agree then why do it

Real world experiance BAS, meanwhile back in the real world

I typed donkey but it came up a**e
Are you always as reasoned and mature in your discussions as this, or are you making a special effort for me?

the O/P lives in the UK, the O/P is going to follow the requirment to comply with building regs
Who has suggested that he should not?

he aint bothered that some forum bore claims he did it by complying with the Tibet 3rd District rule of seven
You know you really ought to put more effort into reading what is in posts here.

all you`ve done is make him wonder now if he does have to cert and if the " experts " LOL can`t agree then why do it
Is he competent to certify his work?

Real world experiance BAS, meanwhile back in the real world
OK - so in the real world, please explain what real world legislation supports QD's assertion.

Feel free to quote as much or as little from any relevant real world documents of your choice as you feel is necessary.

And in the real world, please explain why the real-world Building Regulations support notification of work by unqualified people.

And in the real world, please explain why the real-world Building Regulations support notification of work by unqualified people.

whats wrong with self notifying, its not as if they are going to be self certifying is it ?

fact is your hypothetical posting is just dull

whats wrong with self notifying,
Nothing.

its not as if they are going to be self certifying is it ?
No they aren't. So it seems you agree that m0pdq does not have to issue a certificate for the work if he does it.

fact is your hypothetical posting is just dull
Feel free to give up on the insults and half-formed and incorrect objections at any time then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back