Fuse rating for gas hob ignition

fjt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a new gas hob that i'm going to fit (and get it connected by a Corgi plumber), but whilst looking at it ready for cutting a hole in the worktop I noticed that the 3 pin pre-wired socket has a 13Amp fuse fitted.

I have looked through the documentation and it does not state the VA or Watt rating to double check, but it seems very high to me. I can't believe that a little spark to the gas ring needs upto 3kW of power?

What do you knowledgable people on here think? OK to replace with a 3amp?

Sponsored Links
I'll put a 3amp in then. What I can't understand is that they have fitted a 13amp fuse, but the cable is only 0.75mmsq 3 core to the hob. Its a major domestic appliance company so you'd expect the hob to be supplied with the correct moulded plug and fuse?

Sponsored Links
Isn't there a (gas) reg that says all gas appliances connected to mains electricity must have a maximum of a 3A fuse to protect that equipment?

Certainley all gas boilers/heating system must have a maximum of 3 amp fuse.

I've never fitted more than a 3 amp fuse to a hob. Don't forget that gas regs state (don't know if elec regs are the same) that the flex to a hob or cooker must not be longer than 1.5M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back