Fuse wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrics box has a main trip switch and then the rest is the fuse wire cartridges. Should I get it upgraded? Or can I simply replace each fuse wire with a RCD trip?

Sponsored Links
get a pir done,

also note forum rule 9 (before Lynda says so)

What make is the fuse box?
A lot of them you can change the rewireable fuses to mcbs

It is an 804-IVY I think. well thats the only markings on it. It loks pretty darn old :(

Sponsored Links
I know pretty much zip about electrics... a PIR?

Periodic inspection report. Means getting an electrician in who will test all your electics, and give you a certificate to say whether they are safe or not. They can also advise on the fuse board

Excellent, I'll get one of them then! Peace of mind at least. Now I wouldnt dare ask how much they cost, having read the Rules :)

Anything between 50 and 250 i reckon depending on who comes out and how long it takes them. Phone 3 or 4 local companies, or do a search on the niceic website to find some local sparkys and get quotes

An 8-way Ivory Wylex Standard fuseboard?

Yeah, best advice: get a PIR and expect to change it, plus possibly do bonding too.

ajwt2 said:
Or can I simply replace each fuse wire with a RCD trip?

no, it might be possible to replace them with MCB's, which are completly different from RCDs. an MCB (and fuses) give overload protection, RCDs give earth leak protection

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back